Bentham Golf Course review: a hidden gem in the Yorkshire Dales with spectacular views

Driving north from my home in West Yorkshire, I’ve often clocked a road sign marked ‘Bentham’ en route to visiting my parents in Cumbria.

I presumed it was a sleepy North Yorkshire town, one where ramblers might stop off for a cup of tea or something a little stronger.

It turns out I’m not a million miles away with that assessment.

But what I didn’t realise was that Bentham is also home to a rather wonderful golf course.

I’m not really sure what to expect when I turn off the A65 beyond a basic belief that it should be a course with some nice views.

Well, you can say that again.

Bentham isn’t just any old 18-hole parkland track. It’s one featuring the stunning backdrop of the Yorkshire Three Peaks.

Whernside (2,415 feet), Ingleborough (2,372 feet) and Pen y Ghent (2,277 feet) have iconic status in the walking community. A circular trek of the trio is around 24 miles with a total ascent of around 5000 feet. Give yourself 12 hours if you want to take The Three Peaks Challenge.

But a round of golf at Bentham offers just as good an opportunity to take in spectacular scenery.

Two of the three peaks, Ingleborough and Whernside, can be seen clearly from various vantage points on the course and it’s a real treat to view those landmarks as you walk to the tee, stroll down the fairway or putt on the green.

Bentham is a par 71 with plenty of challenges for all levels of golfer (and you can read how I got on here).

The undulating terrain, water hazards, cleverly-placed bunkers and testing greens offer great variety and no two holes feel the same.

It’s a lovely walk although – full disclosure – I decide to take the option of a buggy.

Since taking over Bentham in 2009, the Marshall family have invested heavily. The renovations extend beyond the course to a driving range, golf shop and state-of-the-art golf studio with resident pro Sophie Daws offering lessons and club fitting.

Stay and play

They’ve done a great job but it doesn’t end there. A visit to Bentham offers an extra dimension compared to the normal golf course experience.

Just before teeing off on the 10th hole – a wonderful little downhill par 3 – I pop back into my pod to shed a layer of clothing as the sun breaks out from behind the clouds.

Yes, a pod! My camping days ended when, in high winds, my tent blew away on a trip to St Andrews for the Open Championship.

But glamping? That’s a whole new ball game. And one that I’m happy to play.

I’m here at Bentham with my partner Jane – caddy, keen walker and eager buggy driver for the day – and we’re staying on the end of a row of pods that flank the course. Ours is situated adjacent to the 10th tee.

Blending sympathetically into the scenery outside – am I in Switzerland?! – there’s a definite ‘tardis’ feel to these little beauties.

Ours has a large double bed, kitchenette, en suite bathroom, TV and excellent wi-fi. Pet-friendly pods are available too.

It’s the perfect space to unwind after a day on the course and – bonus klaxon – the shower is absolutely fantastic.

While there is plenty of good pub grub in the town – a mere two-minute drive away – we decide to grab some food from the local Co-op and eat in (there’s a microwave too). But only after we’ve had a cheeky one for the road in The Coach House, a charming ye olde watering hole that dates back to 1625.

The pods are a great place to retreat to but there’s another level of accommodation on the course: a range of 4-bed and 2-bed luxury lodges.

Pods are perfect for two but the lodges cater for larger groups and, get this, some are up for sale. Owners of these holiday homes include young families to retiree grandparents wanting to meet up with their nearest and dearest.

From its ideal location surrounded by the Yorkshire Dales, the Lake District and Forest of Bowland in Lancashire, golfers from three different counties – and beyond of course – are a very reasonable drive from Bentham.

Attractive green fees

I’m about an hour away and I’ll definitely make a return to this picturesque and welcoming venue. Perhaps to stay and play – 18 holes costs as little as £17.50 – or even to make a longer weekend of it and walk those Three Peaks that are winking at you from the course.

As I pull out of the car park and reflect, it feels like I’ve discovered a hidden gem. And, as with all such findings, there’s that strong desire to spread the word.

Bentham’s lure is summed up perfectly by John Marshall, whose parents farmed in the area before diversifying into the leisure industry in the late 60s.

“Even locals don’t necessarily realise what is on their doorstep in Bentham,” he says. “Many people automatically assume golf courses are members-only, for example, so we’re keen to show here at Bentham, novices and visitors are welcome anytime; it’s a leisure facility, not a private members club.”

And that’s the beauty of Bentham.

A round of golf can feel a long day out if just pounding the fairways, signing your scorecard and driving home while fretting over errant drives and three-putts

But if you want to take your time, head a little off the beaten track and breathe in the air while viewing some stunning 360 degree vistas, golf can become something so much more.

Bentham Golf Club gives you that life-affirming experience in droves. Plan a visit. It’s a gem well worth discovering.

* From September 13th-16th, the Marshall family are hosting a special Open weekend. Visitors will receive discounts on caravan touring pitches at Riverside Caravan Park, and half price golf at Bentham Golf Course and stay in the glamping pods at Wenningdale Escapes. Visitors taking tours of the lodges and holiday homes for sale can enjoy complimentary coffee at 1922 Bar & Kitchen.

READ MORE: Trying to break 90 again: back on the golf course

The post Bentham Golf Course review: a hidden gem in the Yorkshire Dales with spectacular views appeared first on Golf365.

Article Link: Bentham Golf Course review: a hidden gem in the Yorkshire Dales with spectacular views - Golf365