Brandon Stone Column: A one-off experience

Compleat Golfer’s playing editor represented Team South Africa at golf in the Olympics in 2016, the first time it had been in a Games in 112 years. Here he reflects on that experience.

It’s hard for me to believe that it’s been eight years since I went to the Olympics in Rio. I can remember the occasion like it was yesterday. 

There are so many memories that were made over that week. But I thought I’d share my absolute favourite.

I arrived on the afternoon of the opening ceremony. I got to my room, quickly changed into my tracksuit and jumped on the bus. When we arrived at the stadium there were thousands upon thousands of people. I’d forgotten how many athletes and countries take part. Well, I guess it’s all of them.

When it came to our turn for the stadium lap, I was shaking from excitement. We walked through the curtain and bam – a jam-packed stadium, camera flashes everywhere and an atmosphere unlike anything I could possibly describe. I was simply in awe.

Before I knew it, the lap was done and we were back on the bus. We headed back to the Olympic village. When I got back to my room the adrenaline was still pumping through my veins. There was absolutely no chance I was falling asleep. So I thought I’d go to the gym and work off all the energy I had. Now, this was about 2am, so I thought the gym would be empty. Incorrect. This was the Olympics. That place was packed! 

I managed to spot an open treadmill, and off I went. With me being a professional walker, I was running at a conservative 12km/h. Then, the person running next to me left, and was promptly replaced. I didn’t really take a look at who it was, I just remember seeing their speed, a non-conservative 18km/h. After 30 minutes, I was shattered, so I gave up. This person had destroyed me mentally by running 50% faster than me, for the exact same time. 

As I got off, I took a quick glance over … it was Serena Williams. And she hadn’t even broken a real sweat. I guess that’s why she’s the GOAT of women’s tennis.

In my first day at the Olympics I had experienced things I’d never even thought were possible for a kid from Rustenburg.

– This column first appeared in the August 2024 issue of Compleat Golfer magazine.

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

Compleat Golfer August 2024

The post Brandon Stone Column: A one-off experience appeared first on Compleat Golfer.

Article Link: Brandon Stone Column: A one-off experience