Brandon Stone Column: Old Lady gets a facelift

The struggles of South Africa’s Old Lady, Durban Country Club, have been well documented over the past decade, writes Compleat Golfer’s playing editor BRANDON STONE.

Financial woes and a deteriorating golf course had left many unsatisfied with their golfing experience. However, that is all about to change.

A year ago, Durban Country Club was shut for renovations. At first I found myself somewhat uncertain about it all. I always thought the Old Lady just needed some real love and attention. You know, what they call ‘TLC’.

The course design was somewhat sacred and revered within the golfing fraternity. So I was worried what the ‘renovated’ course could look like. Would it be recognisable? Would she retain her identity? Would the heritage and prestige be lost forever?

Well … I can say this: my concerns were unfounded.

In May, I went to play the new course, and simply put, I was completely blown away. The aura was still there. The history was still there. But most impressively, the course changes are simply out of this world.

They’ve maintained the icons while making what were the almost forgettable holes into entirely new characters. All of which adds to the masterpiece. But most impressively, they’ve somehow made the course more playable for the average golfer.

They’ve cleared out a lot of the trademark KwaZulu-Natal shrubbery, giving golfers more forgiveness off the tee. This not only saves you from having to run to the second-hand (used) ball bin, but also makes the round more enjoyable.

The attention to detail throughout the course is something to behold. Even the bridges seem like they’re straight out of a private club in the United States. The addition of tee boxes, bunkers and even a river/burn running through the course make it a completely new challenge. When we played, there was a three-club wind, and trust me when I say, it was a real test.

After the round we sat in the bar for a beer, overlooking the iconic 18th green. It’s a green that the who’s who of South African golf have all played. And that got me thinking, this new course desperately needs a big tournament. It needs an opportunity to show off. It needs a ‘biggie’ to show the world that she’s back to her glory.

Funnily enough, I’ve heard rumours that this might be happening, so let’s wait and see. If it does occur, I have no doubt that the world will want to once again walk those hallowed fairways. To feel the history of the place. After all, South African golf needs Durban Country Club to be one of the best in the country.

And, in my opinion, she is.

– This column first appeared in the July 2024 issue of Compleat Golfer magazine.

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

Photo: Richard Heathcote/Getty Images

The post Brandon Stone Column: Old Lady gets a facelift appeared first on Compleat Golfer.

Article Link: Brandon Stone Column: Old Lady gets a facelift