CELEBRITY SWINGER: Doug Walters

Unflappable, naturally gifted, an Australian sporting treasure

The word folklore springs to mind when Australian cricketing royalty Doug Walters AM MBE is spoken about. There are so many stories about his formidable natural talent with bat and ball, but also tales of his personality away from the cricket field. The public simply love ‘Dougie’ and well they might. Inside Golf’s Andrew Crockett spoke to Walters about some of his cricketing highlights, but more about his golfing exploits and his love of the game. 

Can you remember your first game of golf? How old were you and who got you into it?

I didn’t start playing golf until very late. I’d say my first game of golf was probably on a tour of England in 1968. I’d probably hit a few balls before that, but that was probably the first time I got into golf, and it was the cricketers that dragged me out there. 

How was that first round? Did you have the same sort of natural ability you had with cricket? 

It was pretty frustrating.…. Yeah, not very good. I was using five irons off the tee and trying to keep it in play.  My first tour of England in 1968 was three days short of seven months, so we had a bit of spare time, and we had 17 players. We played every county once and the top 12 twice. So, we had a few games off and every time we had a match off, there’d be four of us, we’d all go and play golf. I was 21 years old on that tour. 

Did you get the golf bug then in 1968?

Whether I had the bug or not, it was sort of compulsory that we went and made a four at Denham Golf Club, near London. 

Could you see much of a similarity, between what made for good cricket and good cricket batting and good golf? 

Not really. I mean, a lot of cricketers are good golfers. There are a few very good golfers, but I’d think it’s just the hand-eye coordination more than anything else.

What about the mental side of top-level cricket and golf? See a cross over there? No, I probably didn’t take my golf as serious as I took my cricket, obviously. Some of them do take their golf probably more seriously than their cricket, but no, I prefer the 19th hole rather than the other 18.

I retired from cricket and first-class cricket in 1980-81. When I have been at home and not away doing work, every Saturday if it’s not raining, I’m out here at my club Pennant Hills in Sydney. 

Lowest handicap you have had?

I got to 13, and was on that for many years until recently when I have lost a fair bit of distance.  I’ve just got older and lazier, I guess. I’m starting to get a few more shots back and I need them all! I used to hit my five irons a lot further than I hit my driver now. The more I play, the worse I get because I’m only practicing bad habits. I should have taken a few lessons, but I’ve played with a few professional golfers and they’ve given me tips which I’ve adhered to. 

Have you played much golf with some of the other Aussie cricketers? I was reading you were good mates with Richie Benaud.

I played a little bit with Richie, but more with the Chappell brothers and Rod Marsh when we were on tour with cricket. I played a fair bit with Graham Marsh too. More recently I see Craig Parry quite a lot and he is designing some good golf courses.

Richie Benaud was very kind to me. He was my second father in many respects. I moved from Dungog to Sydney in 1963, and I moved to Cumberland, where Richie was captain. My father died a couple of years later, and Richie really took me under his wing and said, “here’s my phone number, whatever you need, don’t make any decisions without ringing me.” 

Did you ever get to play golf with Shane Warne? 

No, not golf, Shane Warne and I, well it’s been 15 years plus since I had a cigarette, but Shane Warne was my smoking pal. That was the only reason I really got to know Shane Warne. We were always out the back having a smoke. It was Jack Newton who helped me quit smoking, he put me onto this laser treatment with acupressure. 

Have you played much golf outside of Australia? 

Well, most of my golf probably was played outside Australia when I’ve been away on cricket tours. All through the 70s playing in England, New Zealand, India and South Africa.  We were based in England playing mostly at Denham Golf Course, just out of London. Wentworth is a lovely course and there are some beauties in New Zealand too. 

Have you ever had a hole in one? 

Once, yeah, at Ryde Parramatta, I had a hole in one on the ninth a few years back. Not a competition round, just a friendly round. 

Ideal foursome and location? 

I’d prefer just playing with my mates, to be quite honest. I mean, it’s great to play with folks like Craig Parry and the pros, but just to have a bit of fun with my mates would be my match choice. Although my mates are becoming less and less, they’re all dying on me. When I first moved to Pennant Hills Golf Club, I’ve been a member there now for 44 years. There were heaps of cricketers that belonged to the golf club, but now I think I’m the only one left. 

Crikey. Did you lose a few of them over the last few years? Yes, yes we have. When I first started, Richie Benaud was a member, Jim Burke was a member, Neil Marks and Lynne Marks, Brian Taber, Graeme Watson, Marshall Rosen. Gee, I’ve forgotten some names, but I’m think I’m the only one left playing golf.

Kevin Doug Walters, one of Australia’s iconic and much-loved cricketers, has been awarded Member of the Order of Australia (AM), MBE awarded in 1975, Centenary Medal in 2003, and an inductee into Sport Australia Hall of Fame in 1994. 

Playing 74 Tests, having made his debut in the 1965 Ashes series against England. He became the ninth Australian to score a century on debut, making 155.

Doug captivated millions of fans around the world with his breathtaking batting, amassing 5357 runs at an average of 48.26. He also took 49 Test wickets with his medium pace and was known for his golden arm as he managed to break up big partnerships.

Words from a mate

Inside Golf chatted briefly with a man who knew him better than most, former Australian captain and cricketing legend Greg Chappell, and you can sense the admiration in his voice; 

“He is one of the most unflappable individuals that I know and was one of the most gifted cricketers of our era. Doug scored three centuries in a session in Test cricket which is three times as many as anyone else I know and two of those were on difficult pitches. We won all three of those matches, pretty much on the back of his performances. With Doug you would never have known by his reaction or body language whether he had made runs or been dismissed first ball. His demeanour never changed. He was a prankster and one of the most naturally funny guys with whom I played. He had a way of lightening the mood no matter what was going on. Doug was a wonderful team man, a brilliant fielder and a more than useful medium pacer. As a golfer, like with his cricket, he is unflappable, naturally gifted although his putting has always been streaky. He played right-handed but became a left handed putter which may have betrayed his lack of confidence over the shorter distances. Doug is very competitive despite his laid-back nature. He is a handy partner off his mid-teens handicap and always good for a pithy comment or two.”

The post CELEBRITY SWINGER: Doug Walters first appeared on Inside Golf. Australia's Most-Read Golf Magazine as named by Australian Golfers - FREE.

Article Link: https://www.insidegolf.com.au/people/celebrity-swinger-doug-walters/