Cricket legend lifts golf’s Conservation Cup

Former Proteas batsman Jacques Kallis has led South Africa to victory on many occasions, but this past Tuesday he achieved a first when he led a stellar team of sports stars and business leaders to victory in the inaugural Conservation Cup golf tournament as part of the drive to protect this country’s wildlife heritage.

The Conservation Cup at Pearl Valley brought together the family of sport and business in a one-day tournament played over 27 holes and in a Ryder Cup-style format.

Kallis and former Springbok hooker Hanyani Shimange each captained a team of sports stars featuring Graeme Smith, Mark Boucher, Schalk Burger Jnr, Schalk Brits, Juandré Kruger, Gary Teichmann, André Joubert, Robbie Fleck, Gcobani Bobo, Odwa and Akona Ndungane, Mark Fish and Neil Tovey.

Each team also included several business giants.

The golf together with a glittering gala dinner and auction helped to raise a significant amount of funding for the Fisher Foundation’s ongoing work as a non-profit to focus on conservation and education among the youth living in communities adjacent to South Africa’s national parks and protected wildlife areas.

The ultimate goal of the foundation is to empower the youth to become active custodians of South Africa’s precious natural heritage.

And it was Kallis’ team of the Pangolins which beat Shimange’s Rhinos to became the inaugural Conservation Cup champions.

“I jumped at the chance to captain a team because I think this is a great cause,” said Kallis. “None of us want any animals to disappear and for our children to be denied seeing them. As sportsmen we can make a difference because we are in the public eye, and it’s amazing to see how many people came out to support this event.”

It was a sentiment echoed by his opposing team captain, Shimange.

“It’s great to see all the sportsmen here, and this was the first time I’ve ever captained a golf team. I love taking my family to the bush and when I first was told about this I definitely wanted to be part of it. It’s important work being done to raise funds for the kids who live in rural communities around our nature reserves so they can learn the skills to work in the conservation environment. That’s how you break cycles and create futures for people.”

It was a sentiment echoed by the many sports stars who took part.

“I’ve always said that the more people who pull together for conservation, the better for all of us,” said Boucher, who has long worked with his own foundation to protect South African wildlife. “We’re a big sporting nation so it’s great to see so many sportsmen coming out to support this. We raised some good money for the Fisher Foundation.

“There is a lot going on in our country, but we mustn’t forget conservation as well. It’s great to see foundations coming together like this and pulling in the right direction.”

“It was an unbelievable opportunity to meet some old friends in sport again, and all for a really good cause as we educate our people about the pangolin and rhino conservation,” said former Bafana Bafana captain Neil Tovey.

Mark Fish has experience working with The Fisher Foundation in rural KwaZulu-Natal.

“It was great to be involved with the first Conservation Cup and see some of the sporting heroes who were my legends and people I looked up to. This is a worthy cause for many things The Fisher Foundation can do for many years to come.”

“Conservation is something that’s close to many of our hearts,” said former Proteas captain Graeme Smith. “A few of us in the cricket space have spent a lot of time investing back into conservation, so to be here supporting The Fisher Foundation is great.”

“It’s incredible to see the people who turned up for this event. It’s always nice when you can give back. All of us are super aware of conservation and to raise that awareness is important. It’s just a great cause,” said former Springbok flank Burger Jnr.

And ex-Bok centre Gcobani Bobo was equally passionate about the effort to protect South Africa’s wildlife.

“I just want to cherish what we have in our country and help protect it. I’ve got a young family and I’d want them to be part of a heritage we can all protect,” he said.

Richard Fisher, the founder and executive chairman of City Logistics, was overwhelmed by the support they received.

“It is so humbling to have these legends in South African sport join our friends in the business world to help us make a true impact with our conservation efforts.

“The Fisher Foundation is all about community and reaching out to communities in rural areas and empowering them for a brighter future. Similarly, we are a community in sport and in business, and when we’re able to bring all of this together, that’s when we make a difference.

“I’d like to thank everybody for being part of the inaugural Conservation Cup, and for the passion shown towards protecting our natural heritage.”

The post Cricket legend lifts golf’s Conservation Cup appeared first on Compleat Golfer.

Article Link: Cricket legend lifts golf's Conservation Cup