First Look: TaylorMade TP5/TP5x Stripe Golf Balls

After TaylorMade released the Stripe version of Tour Response, the conversation around a TP5 version wasn’t so much about when it was coming but why it didn’t already exist.

Seriously.

That was roughly two and a half years ago.

And so, several months after the release of the 2024 TP5, and way later than I had anticipated, TaylorMade is finally offering a Stripe version of its TP5 and TP5x golf balls.

To quote Rick Flair, “WOOOOOO!”

TaylorMade TP5 and TP5x Stripe golf balls

What took so long?

It’s not that TaylorMade questioned the demand for a TP5 Stripe but before it could bring TP5 Stripe to market, it needed to be sure it had the infrastructure to keep up with its growing ball business.

For the last several years, TaylorMade been busy improving the infrastructure of its ball biz – acquiring factories and outfitting them with machines necessary to print patterns in high volume.

That brings us to today. We’re FINALLY getting Stripe on TP5 and TP5x.

Who’s excited?

TaylorMade TP5 Stripe golf balls

Why Stripe?

You’ve probably figured this out on your own but not every bit of ink that finds its way onto a golf ball is purposeful. Some patterns (and I’m using patterns loosely) exist for no other reason than to look cool.

That’s not to say there’s anything wrong with that. Vice does well with Drip. TaylorMade’s Speed Soft Ink probably has some fans. Designs can be fun for fun’s sake.

But that’s not Stripe. Stripe is purposeful.

If this is all new to you, the Stripe pattern is designed to improve alignment on the putting green. Some claim benefits off the tee as well. If that’s true for some, it’s an added bonus, I guess. The larger point is that Stripe alignment wasn’t a random choice. As we discussed when Tour Response Stripe launched, TaylorMade did a fair amount of research before landing on the particulars of the Stripe pattern.

This all helps answer why TaylorMade didn’t see a reason to overhaul or otherwise rethink the Stripe design for TP5.

The same, but different

With that, you might find it puzzling that TP5 version of Stripe doesn’t look exactly the same as the Tour Response version. Sure, the basic geometry – the width and alignment of the stripe – is unchanged but the thinking inside TaylorMade is that the better player, or at least the TP5 player, isn’t necessarily looking for color.

With that, the idea behind the Clear Stripe design is to provide the benefits of alignment with the absence of color.

What that gets you is a black-and-white version of the stripe with a clear (white) center section replacing the bold colors found on Tour Response Stripe.

It’s a more conservative approach to Stripe and I’d be interested to know how many of you would have preferred something bolder on TP5.

TaylorMade TP5 Stripe golf balls

The Tour response to TP5 Stripe

To some extent, the success of TP5 Stripe at retail may depend on how well it’s received on the professional tours.

While you never know until you know, TaylorMade is optimistic that the TP5 stripe will find some play on the PGA Tour. LIV’s Dustin Johnson has been asking for a striped version for the TP5 for a couple of years and Tommy Fleetwood uses the Tour Response Stripe for putting practice.

My hunch is that TP5 Stripe won’t ever be as popular as white with elite golfers but I wouldn’t be surprised to see use steadily increase.

I’ve come to believe alignment technology has real benefits and wider is better than narrow.

Pricing and availability

Retail price for TP5 and TP5x Stripe is $57.99 per dozen. That’s three bucks more than the white and yellow versions but TaylorMade has always charged extra for visual tech. The argument is that visual technology is real. You’re getting more for you money and, yeah, it costs more to make as well.

Whether Stripe (and pix for that matter) is worth the extra cost is totally up to you.

TaylorMade TP5 and TP5x Stripe golf balls are available now.

For more information, visit TaylorMadeGolf.com.

Check Price

The post First Look: TaylorMade TP5/TP5x Stripe Golf Balls appeared first on MyGolfSpy.

Article Link: https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/first-look/first-look-taylormade-tp5-tp5x-stripe-golf-balls/