FootJoy Pro/SLX BOA Golf Shoe Review

What We Tried:

FootJoy Pro/SLX BOA – the latest version of FootJoy’s flagship spikeless golf shoe.

Who Tried It:

Tony. Editorial Director at MyGolfSpy and a firm believer that spikes are the way.

FootJoy Pro/SLX BOA Golf Shoe

Aesthetics

Because this is a BOA design, let’s get this out of the way first.

Frankly, it’s silly we have to talk about this stuff, given that golf shoes serve an actual purpose. (FYI, that purpose isn’t to make you feel like you’re trendy AF, Connor.) That said, for those who are oft offended by the modern design and superior performance of BOA-enabled designs, I suspect the FootJoy Pro/SLX will be among the least objectionable.

The Pro/SLX offers a single BOA dial and a simple design that looks more like laces than the flaps systems found in many recent models. Frankly, if FootJoy had and BOA had seen fit to thread the TX6 textile lace underneath or maybe even through a traditional lace, heel dial notwithstanding, not even Jacques Slade would likely notice.

FootJoy Pro/SLX BOA golf shoes

So, if you’re inclined to feign outrage over something, it shouldn’t be the style. If anything, get mad about the fact that the FootJoy Pro/SLX is available in just a single colorway (white) while the laced version is available in four.

Let’s all pause to shake our fists in anger.

The Carbon version (laces only) is available in three colorways.

Spikeless?

FootJoy Pro/SLX Boa golf shoes

The other thing I suspect some will nitpick about is that while the Pro/SLX is technically a spikeless shoe, it’s just barely that. I suppose that opens the door to a debate about whether FootJoy is missing the point entirely but the fact that Pro SL (and now SLX) doesn’t feel or perform like most other spikless shoes is exactly what I love about it.

So, yeah, Pro/SLX is going to be bulkier than most spikeless designs but it’s also going to be more stable. You’re not going to hear anything about its ability to seamlessly transition from the office or craft brewery to the golf course but it will provide you with the kind of structure that many golfers need from their shoes.

All of that being said, despite my favorable history with past Pro SL designs, I had some concerns.

A little too spikeless?

Past iterations of Pro SL have featured a bunch of short narrow nubs that reminded me a bit of old-school metal spikes (in form, not so much function). The new Pro/SLX design is quite a bit different.

You can still find some of the nubs in the toe and heel area, but they’re now part of a new PWR TRAX system.

There’s a lot to this so I’m just going to copy it right from the FootJoy website.

“Pro/SLX is engineered with the PWR TRAX System, transforming golf footwear with its innovative 3D X-Wing, effectively redistributing energy during your swing for enhanced stability. The Race Trak outsole, featuring Radial Disc Traction, extends into the ground to optimize overall traction, addressing varied on-course conditions and walking needs.”

So first, George Lucas might want a word and, second, where did the spikes go?

Seriously, all of the traction elements are now at the perimeter and speaking as a devout spiked shoe guy, I figured there was no way this was going to work. That is to say I assumed the Pro/SLX would perform no better than most other spikeless designs.

Off to the course

A few weeks ago, we got hit with heavy rains just before my weekly golf league. So I did what any clever golfer would do. I swapped my T grind wedge for a V grind, grabbed my spikeless FootJoys and headed to the course where I figured I’d slide all over the place, hit some crisp wedge shots and prove to myself and anyone within earshot that my keen golf shoe and wedge sole observations were spot on.

To my credit, I did hit some solid wedge shots but, to my surprise, my feet stayed underneath me for the entire round.

The FootJoy Pro/SLX handled wet conditions better than any spikeless I’ve worn. To be sure, I’m not advocating wearing spikeless shoes in a downpour but in soft, arguably slippery, conditions, the Pro/SLX exceeded my admittedly low expectations by plenty.

Several rounds later across a range of course conditions, while I’ve had more than a few regrettable swings, none of the outcomes can reasonably be traced back to the shoes.

The X-Wing traction stuff seems to work.

FootJoy Pro/SLX BOA comfort

One of the things I appreciate about FootJoy is that you more or less know what you’re going to get. Sizing is consistent across models so you’re reasonably safe in assuming that what fits you in one is likely to fit you well in another. I say this (again) because a good bit of what golfers experience as comfort starts with wearing the right sized shoe.

It’s not hard, people.

That’s not to say that’s the whole of it or that there isn’t an element of preference involved. For example, I prefer stability and comfort over skating across the course in a pair of street-styled failures but if you want that walking-on-kittens feeling, you’re not going to get it from a Pro/SLX. Eyeballing it, maybe something like the Quantum, Flex or Contour Casual will get you there,

Said simply, the FootJoy Pro/SLX BOA feels more like a comfortable spiked shoe than a comfortable spikeless shoe.

Some final thoughts

The FootJoy Pro/SLX surprised me. The previous Pro SL BOA was the shoe I wore on dry days when I wanted to mix it up a bit. The Pro/SLX BOA is a shoe I can wear any day when I feel like mixing it up a bit.

If there’s a knock, it’s that while the Pro/SLX meets the standard definition of spikeless, it wears like more of a hybrid. Again, there’s more bulk there than with most spikeless designs.

The upside is you’re getting better stability and traction than most spikeless designs can offer and that without actual spikes (soft or otherwise), you’re unlikely to experience any pressure points that can sometimes occur with spiked designs. There’s appeal in that.

Still, if you’re someone who demands that their golf shoes meet style requirements beyond the confines of the golf course, I can understand where Pro/SLX, even with the undeniable appeal of the BOA Fit System, could be a tough sell.

Retail price for the FootJoy Pro/SLX BOA is $219.99. That’s the same price as the BOA version. The standard laced version sells for $189.99.

For more information, visit FootJoy.com.

The post FootJoy Pro/SLX BOA Golf Shoe Review appeared first on MyGolfSpy.

Article Link: https://mygolfspy.com/we-tried-it/footjoy-pro-slx-boa-golf-shoe-review/