For Denis Brosnan, golf is a way of life

By Peter Owen

HE’S been in the golf industry since he was 12, played in Arnold Palmer’s Australian Open in 1966 and is closing in on 60 years as a member of the PGA of Australia, so it’s no surprise that Denis Brosnan should confess his love of the game.

“It’s all I’ve ever done, all my life,” he said after yet another day plying his trade on the central Queensland coast in a Legends Tour pro-am, where he continually surprises himself with his ability to compete with players a quarter century younger than him.

And using the phrase ‘all I’ve ever done’ is selling short the amazing contribution he’s made to Australian golf – not just on the golf course, but in the mentoring of players of all ages and, notably, in the design, manufacture and sales of golf equipment.

Fittingly, the Australian PGA last month made Brosnan a life member, a recognition, he says, that left him humbled, honoured and immensely pleased.

“There are only 20 life members still living,” he said. “And in the 105 years of the PGA there have only ever been about 50 named.

“It’s such an honour to be recognised by my fellow PGA pros in such a way,” he said. “They all had to vote, you know, and they voted for me.”

Brosnan’s name is legendary in Australian golf, more so for the golf equipment that he’s designed and marketed for the past 45 years, and the 16 Golf World retail stores he’s established throughout the country, than for his success in big-time golf tournaments.

He began his career in golf at the age of 12, helping Ted Cates in the pro shop at Virginia Golf Club, in Brisbane’s northern suburbs. That led to a traineeship with Fred Anderson at Oxley Golf Club and, later, under Frank McCarthy at Jindalee.

Out of his time, he spent a few years as the professional at Caboolture, before landing the role of head pro at Redcliffe in 1967. He remained there for 27 years, and made so many friendships at the bayside club that he still returns regularly to play the course with his mates.

Brosnan has always been fascinated with the technical properties of golf equipment, particularly clubs, and he’s been designing, grinding, assembling and polishing golf clubs since he was a teenager.

He launched Brosnan Golf in 1977. When the operation began, there were few companies designing and manufacturing golf clubs in Australia, the market dominated by overseas brands like Dunlop, Slazenger and Spalding.

But Brosnan was undaunted. “I had the right product, it was priced right and I was able to get the support of a lot of the golf pros in golf shops around the country.

“I’m very proud of what we’ve been able to do – take on the best in the world and succeed. We sold a lot of equipment, and I just kept on doing it.”

Though he now employs a general manager, Brosnan remains heavily involved in the operation, which includes Golf World outlets in Queensland, NSW, South Australia and Victoria. 

“I’m the managing director and I run the business,” he says with pride.
“I go to the office every morning, and I order all the stock.
I’m very involved.”

And he still designs equipment. “Every product you see with the Brosnan name is something that I’ve designed – clubs, bags, everything with our name on it.”

He’s 78 now, but Brosnan has no plans to retire. “I sometimes think about it,” he said. “A lot of my friends have retired but here I am, still working and running a business.

Denis Brosnan (right) and Kyle Francis after being made PGA Australia life members.

“I had an offer to sell recently and I considered it,” he said. “But in the end I decided to keep it.”

Brosnan doesn’t let business keep him from the golf course, though. 

“I like to play regularly,” he said, outlining a routine that includes Wednesdays at Redcliffe or Royal Queensland, and Sundays on the Gold Coast. Often he’ll join a group of friends for nine holes at Royal Queensland late in the afternoon.

And he’s still a regular on the Legends Tour, where he enjoys the camaraderie of his mates, as much as the thrill of competition.

He visited the United Kingdom in 2022 and tried to pre-qualify for the Senior British Open, which was being played at Gleneagles in Scotland.

The qualifier was at Glenbervie Golf Club, midway between Edinburgh and Glasgow. Armed with a new driver he’d designed, Brosnan shot 74 – not quite enough to get him into the Senior Open field.

But, after his round, when an official announced his score and commented that Brosnan had bettered his age, the audience spontaneously began clapping – a simple gesture of respect and appreciation that almost moved Brosnan to tears.

Back home, Brosnan says he’s happy doing what he’s doing – running his business and playing as much golf as he can.

“For me, golf is something that I’ve enjoyed all my life. I love playing. I love the people. I love the friends I’ve made. Golf isn’t just a sport – it’s a way of life.”

The post For Denis Brosnan, golf is a way of life first appeared on Inside Golf. Australia's Most-Read Golf Magazine as named by Australian Golfers - FREE.

Article Link: https://www.insidegolf.com.au/news/for-denis-brosnan-golf-is-a-way-of-life/