Forum Member Review: Edel Array Putters

Is there a spot in a golfer’s bag more volatile than the putter well? Sure, there are some collectors out there, blissfully picking up every hot new flatstick that hits the market. But most of us are perpetually searching for the one, the one putter perfect for us that instills supreme confidence that we can drain any putt from any distance at any time. The new Edel Array line of putters promises to deliver that perfect fit with an unprecedented level of customization options.

Photo: Edel Array 1

The testing opportunity

Five MyGolfSpy Forum members were given the opportunity to test, review and keep a new Array putter from Edel. Edel’s unique fitting technology allows a fitter to customize the head design, weights, hosel options and alignment aids. Combined, the Array system allows a fitter unmatched precision in dialing in a flatstick for any golfer.

The Edel Array comes in four different models with all three mallet designs available for left-handed golfers. There is also a single right-handed-only blade design. Those heads can be married to one of four different neck options, two different alignment aids for the blade or six for the mallets. Add in five sole weight options, four grip choices and a Tour Opti-Vibe weighting system for internal shaft-weighting options and you begin to understand just how customizable the Array line is.

Photo: Edel Array 2 

The fittings

Our testers were excited and eager to be fitted and their Edel experiences didn’t disappoint. Tester Parshooter chronicled the in-depth experience where, after some basic height measurements, “we then moved to the part I was most excited about, and that was the laser alignment. For those that don’t know, Edel uses a laser pointed at the ball. They place a mirror onto the face of the putter and have you address the ball. Once you feel like you are aimed at the puck, they remove the ball and the laser reflects back onto the wall showing if you are aimed correctly or not. My initial setup was well right of target. We tried several different alignment plates and for me the T-Bar was the clear winner.”

Photo: Edel Array Fitting Kit

GolfSpy AFG had a similar revelation. “I’ve never actually been fit for a putter before! And, what I learned from the fitting above all was that my years-long insistence on a face-balanced putter was all wrong…I actually need 30-45 degrees of toe hang!” 

All told, the Edel fitting experience proved to be a fun and extremely confidence-inspiring experience for our testers. Each was convinced the Edel Array putter coming their way had a great chance at being that one special putter we’re all looking for.

First impressions

Testers were unanimous in their praise for the Array line when unboxing the putters. Tester Bucky CC observed, “out of the box I was immediately impressed with the Array F-2 putter. Very clean lines, weight felt comfortable, and the headcover seemed to be well constructed rather than a throw-in afterthought.” 

Photo: Edel Array F-2 

GolfSpy AFG was also very positive: “Visually the club was love at first sight for me; the putter (including the headcover) all scream premium.” 

Tester Parshooter agreed: “My Edel Array F-3 showed up this week and it is stunning. I love the Edel script, there are multiple fonts in use here, but it doesn’t bother me at all. The milling is flawless and to me everything about this putter screams quality.”

Photo: Edel Array F-3 

Aesthetic appeal

Across the board, our testers loved the look of the Edel Array regardless of the head shape. Tester Bucky CC, who was fitted into the F-2: “All of the graphics and paint fill are done extremely well with tight tolerances.  You can tell just by looking at it that Edel makes a very high-end putter without being overly flashy about it.  No one in my regular foursome noticed I had a new putter until a few holes into our first round.  Once it was passed around they all remarked on how clean it looked…”

Regarding his F-3, Parshooter said: “I love the shape of the Edel Array F-3 head, that’s what drew me to it. I am a visual person and a firm believer that you need to like what you are looking at or it will not work long term. Plus, I really like the contoured edges and the sharp lines they create. I also really like the contrast between the light gray body and the dark gray face. It gives it kind of a “versa” feel and gives me another line to help square up the ball.” 

Photo: Array F-3 Top Down

One tester did observe that Edel’s use of multiple fonts bordered on distracting. Additionally, a tester suggested the alignment plate might be better if it matched the color of the face rather than contrast with it. All told, testers acknowledged these concerns as minor and were overall very positive about the aesthetics of the Edel Array lineup.

Performance and testing

MyGolfSpy Forum testers, a discerning and “data-cratic” bunch, put the Array through a series of drills and protocols aside from a typical round of golf. 

Prodigal Duffer: “I did a few different tests for distance control and accuracy. In the test-controlled environment, I found it easier to control the distance with the Array.” Additionally, “One area where the Array really excelled was in mishits. In one of my tests, I purposely hit balls at the toe, center, and heel, both low and high. I found that location had minimal impact on accuracy.”

Photo: Array B-1

GolfSpy AFG, stuck indoors by Mother Nature for much of the testing period, used the Stack Putting feature of the Stack System for the bulk of his testing on his indoor putting green. The use of the three-dot alignment plate on his F-1 putter was intended to correct a decided left-aim bias observed in his fitting. Using Stack Putting for an indoor putting green combine, he was able to measure that the Array did indeed correct that bias, and lowered his overall putts-per-hole scores.

Photo: Stack Putting Charts

On-course experience

Our testers had equally positive experiences once they got on the course. Prodigal Duffer observed that with his gamer putter “…my strokes gained was -4.18. With the Array, it was -2.74. in other words, I improved my strokes gained by almost 1.5 strokes! Most of that increase came in the less than 10-foot range.” Tester Bucky CC similarly noticed a “Two putt percentage a full 15% above the average and 10% above my gamer” and a “low three putt percentage and positive strokes gained.”

Key highlights from testers

One aspect that stood out from the testers was just how fun and confidence-inspiring Edel’s fitting process is. Prodigal Duffer described the process as “A fit designed to identify a person’s putting biases and address them through the right customization. The Array B-1 delivers on looks and, so far, on the course.” 

Parshooter agreed. “The Edel Array F-3 is a great putter. I have found that my alignment and distance control are more consistent than my previous gamer and I am also seeing more midrange putts (8’-15’) drop than they have in the past. The whole Array line can literally be set up so suit any type of putting stroke and alignment needs. Fitting is the key to what makes Edel putters so special. There are so many variables in the modular design of the Array putters that buying one off the rack would be like finding a needle in a haystack in my opinion. If you are serious about trying to get the most out of your game, a fitting and purchase of an Edel Array putter is money well spent.

Photo: Array Putter Face

A couple of our testers did observe a bit of an adjustment period when transitioning from the insert-based putter head of their gamers to their Array. For instance, GolfSpy AFG said,  “Candidly, the one thing about the Array that I’m not completely thrilled with is the feel and sound…it’s fine, but it’s a metal “tingy” sound of a milled face rather than the softer feel of an insert like I prefer.”

Keep it or trade it?

Our testers were very happy with the Array and have made a permanent spot in the bag for it. Parshooter shared that “…in order for the F-3 to find a spot in my bag I would simply need to make more putts with it. Not only have I made more putts, but I have more confidence standing over putts than I ever have. Confidence is key and the whole Edel experience has me believing that I am giving myself the best chance to make every putt I roll.”

Prodigal Duffer echoed these sentiments, stating “…the Array is meeting the major benchmark I identified and my strokes gained is improving. I have played only six rounds with it and I think that the numbers will only get better as I get more familiar with it.”

Photo: Final Array Photo

Conclusion

The Array lineup of putters from Edel offers incredible customization options, possibly even industry-leading customization. The fitting and resulting on-course experiences of our testers suggest that Edel can dial in an Array putter for any golfer and any putting stroke. Edel may have found the perfect solution to delivering you the perfect putter for your game!Click here to read our testers full reviews.

The post Forum Member Review: Edel Array Putters appeared first on MyGolfSpy.

Article Link: https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/forum-member-review-edel-array-putters/