Forum Member Review: Titleist Vokey SM10 Wedges

The new Titleist Vokey SM10 wedges, released in March, promise to enhance versatility, distance control, trajectory and spin. This review explores the Vokey SM10 wedges from four MyGolfSpy Forum members who detailed their experience from fitting to on-course performance.

Key highlights from the Titleist Vokey SM10 Wedge Review

1. Versatility and Spin Control: The Vokey SM10 wedges excel in providing consistent spin and distance control across different lofts and grinds.
  2. Fitting Experience: Personalized fittings were crucial, with each tester highlighting the importance of tailored bounce and grind options.
  3. On-Course Performance: Testers reported exceptional spin control, especially on partial shots, and praised the wedges’ performance in varying conditions.
  4. Durability and Finish: The finish holds up well over time, maintaining the wedges’ aesthetics and groove sharpness.

What testers said: Titleist Wedge Selector Tool

The testers found the Titleist Wedge Fit App to be a valuable tool in their fitting process. HeathS16 mentioned, “The app provided a great starting point and helped narrow down the options before the in-person fitting.” Snoopy79 appreciated the app’s guidance: “It was easy to use and gave me confidence that I was selecting the right specs.” MIGregB highlighted the convenience: “The app’s recommendations were spot on, making the fitting session more efficient.”

The Titleist fitting process

A key component of the testing involved a personalized fitting session. Each tester underwent a comprehensive fitting with a Titleist fitting professional. This fitting process ensured that each golfer received wedges tailored to their specific swing characteristics and playing conditions. It also helped testers navigate the complexity of wedge grinds and how they can dramatically affect a golfer’s experience. 

HeathS16’s Experience

HeathS16 had his fitting at Kickingbird Golf Course in Edmond, Okla., with Chris Perkins. “Chris’s expertise was invaluable. We used Trackman data to analyze my shots and it was fascinating to see how different bounce and grind options affected my performance. I ended up with a 50-degree wedge with 12 degrees of bounce, a 54-degree wedge and a 58-degree wedge, each perfectly suited to my game.”

Snoopy79’s Experience

Snoopy79’s fitting took place at his local golf club with a Titleist fitter. “The fitting process was incredibly detailed. We looked at my swing dynamics and typical course conditions. I appreciated how the fitter explained the benefits of each grind and bounce option. It was clear that this was about more than just picking a club off the shelf; it was about finding the perfect match for my game.”

MIGregB’s Experience

MIGregB’s fitting was conducted at a state-of-the-art indoor facility. “The use of GC Quad launch monitors really made a difference. We fine-tuned my wedge setup for both full and partial shots. By experimenting with different lofts and bounces, I was able to find a set that gave me enhanced shot-making capabilities around the greens.”

Chubbs1991’s Experience

Chubbs1991 underwent his fitting at a renowned golf academy in New Minas, Nova Scotia. “This was the most comprehensive fitting I’ve ever experienced. We tested the wedges extensively on the range and on the course. The fitter’s ability to observe my performance in real-world conditions ensured that the wedges were perfectly tailored to my needs.”

Design and features

The Vokey SM10 wedges feature several improvements over their predecessors. The refined shape and CG placement enhance distance control and trajectory, while the spin-milled grooves optimize spin across different lofts. These wedges come with six grind options, allowing golfers to choose the perfect setup for their game and conditions they experience.

Snoopy79’s Insights: Snoopy79 emphasized the wedges’ versatility, noting how the different grind options allowed for a variety of shots from various lies. The consistency in spin and distance control was evident during practice sessions, leading to greater confidence on the course.

On-Course Performance

The true test of any golf club lies in its performance on the course. Our testers played numerous rounds, focusing on the wedges’ ability to handle various shots and conditions.

MIGregB’s On-Course Testing: MIGregB’s testing involved multiple rounds at his home course and a golf trip to Branson. He highlighted the wedges’ exceptional spin control, especially on half and three-quarter shots. The Vokey SM10s provided consistent performance, allowing for precise distance control and shot-making around the greens.

Chubbs1991’s Creative Testing: Chubbs1991 took a unique approach by playing a round using only wedges from the front tees. This method forced creative shot-making and extensive use of the wedges’ bounce. The results were impressive, demonstrating the wedges’ versatility and reliability in various scenarios.

Spin Performance

Spin control is a critical aspect of wedge performance. All testers noted the significant improvement in spin rates with the Vokey SM10 wedges. Could this just be having fresh wedges or does the spin-milled groove technology make a difference? 

HeathS16: “The spin-milled grooves really make a difference. I could see the ball stopping quickly on the greens, giving me more control over my shots.”

Snoopy79: “I noticed a more consistent spin, especially on partial shots. It gave me the confidence to attack pins knowing the ball would behave predictably.”

Durability and Finish

Durability and the quality of the finish are essential for any wedge, especially those that see frequent use. A finish always looks great on the shelf or out of the box but one that wears quickly can often lead to disappointment, especially when the prices of these wedges are as high as they are.

MIGregB: “The black satin finish not only looks great but is holding up well after several rounds. The wedges still look new, and the grooves remain sharp.”

Chubbs1991: “I’ve put these wedges through tough conditions, including sandy lies and wet grass. They’ve held up remarkably well without any noticeable wear.”

Performance in varying conditions

The wedges’ performance in different weather and course conditions was also tested thoroughly.

HeathS16: “I played in both wet and dry conditions, and the wedges performed consistently. The ball didn’t skid or slide on wet grass, which was impressive.”

Snoopy79: “In softer conditions, the higher bounce options helped prevent digging. In firmer conditions, the lower bounce allowed for clean strikes. The versatility of the grind options really stood out.”

Aesthetics and feel

The Vokey SM10 wedges not only perform well but also look and feel premium. The sleek, minimalist design combined with the high-quality finish makes these wedges a standout in any golf bag. Our testing group had very little, if anything, to pick at when it came to this portion of the review. 

All positives?

While the Titleist Vokey SM10 wedges received high praise, testers noted a few drawbacks that are worth noting.

1. Weight: Some testers felt the wedges were slightly heavier compared to other brands. As HeathS16 mentioned, “The wedges felt a bit heavy initially, but I got used to it after a few rounds.”
  2. Cost: The premium price point was a concern for a few testers. Snoopy79 commented, “They are definitely an investment, but the performance justifies the price.”
  3. Learning Curve: The variety of grind options required some adjustment. MIGregB stated, “Understanding the best grind for different conditions took some time.”

Key takeaways from the Titleist Vokey SM10 Wedge Review

Spin and control

Testers consistently praised the Vokey SM10 wedges for their exceptional spin control. HeathS16 noted, “The spin-milled grooves really make a difference, allowing the ball to stop quickly on the greens.” Similarly, Snoopy79 observed, “The consistent spin on partial shots gave me the confidence to attack pins knowing the ball would behave predictably.”

Versatility

The wedges’ versatility stood out to all testers. Snoopy79 highlighted, “The different grind options allowed for a variety of shots from various lies.” Chubbs1991‘s unique approach of playing a round using only wedges from the front tees showcased their adaptability, stating, “The results were impressive, demonstrating the wedges’ versatility.”

Durability and finish

The durability and quality of the finish were other key points of praise. With four finish options, all of which were tested and held up well over multiple rounds and conditions.

Aesthetic appeal

Aesthetically, the Vokey SM10 wedges were well-received. Snoopy79 commented, “The black satin finish is stunning and adds a touch of class to my bag.” MIGregB echoed this sentiment, saying, “The design is both elegant and functional. The wedges feel great in hand and inspire confidence.”

Importance of fitting

Personalized fitting was a crucial aspect of the positive feedback. HeathS16 emphasized, “Using Trackman data to analyze my shots was fascinating, showing how different bounce and grind options affected my performance.” Snoopy79 appreciated the detailed fitting process, noting, “It was clear that this was about more than just picking a club off the shelf.”

Final thoughts and recommendations

The Titleist Vokey SM10 wedges live up to the hype, delivering exceptional performance, versatility and good looks. Whether you are a competitive player or a weekend warrior, these wedges can elevate your short game but be sure to take the time to get properly fitted. 

Bottom line

The Titleist Vokey SM10 wedges performed exceptionally for our testers and they had a hard time finding anything to not love about them. From the fitting experience to putting them to the test on the course, they unanimously loved their wedges and how they performed. 

The post Forum Member Review: Titleist Vokey SM10 Wedges appeared first on MyGolfSpy.

Article Link: https://mygolfspy.com/uncategorized/forum-member-review-titleist-vokey-sm10-wedges/