Forum Member Review: Toura Golf Club Built Test

The Toura Golf Irons Build Test offered MyGolfSpy community members a chance to build and evaluate their own custom golf irons. Our four selected testers shared their experiences, focusing on the build process, performance and overall impressions of the Toura Golf irons in a member test unlike any other before it. 

Key Highlights

Customization and Build Quality: Testers praised the high-quality materials and precise craftsmanship, noting the satisfaction of building their own clubs. The process was described as challenging but rewarding, with a significant appreciation for the final product.

Minimalist Design: The sleek, logo-free design appealed to those who prefer a clean, professional look. David Leighton Reid mentioned, “The clean look of these irons is truly stunning and adds a professional touch to my set.”

Forged Irons: The use of Japanese S25C steel provided exceptional feel and performance, enhancing the playing experience in both the blade and cavity-back models.

Precision and Accuracy: Testers highlighted the irons’ ability to deliver precise shot-making, allowing for better control and consistency.

Community Engagement: The opportunity to engage with the MyGolfSpy community and share build experiences was highly valued, adding an educational and collaborative dimension to the review process.

To see our testers’ final grades and more about their reviews, continue reading.

About Toura Golf

Toura Golf was created out of a passion for golf club building. It all started when Jon Blackham had difficulty finding a blank clubhead with no logo. So he decided to take matters into his own hands. He created Toura Golf for those like him who love to build their own golf clubs and have an appreciation for a pure forged product that stands out by not standing out.

The Canadian company is known for their minimalist designs and producing limited quantities of heads as well as some one-of-a-kind models. With wedges, putters and full iron heads available for purchase, Toura Golf is a club builder’s dream.

What Testers Said

First Impressions and Aesthetics

The minimalist, logo-free design of the Toura Golf irons received positive feedback. Testers appreciated the professional and clean look, with high-quality packaging enhancing the unboxing experience. David Leighton Reid stated, “The clean look of these irons is truly stunning and adds a professional touch to my set.”

Build Process

The build process was detailed and a highlight for our testing group. The testers were provided with all necessary components, including the clubheads, shafts, ferrules and grips to complete the build. All of our testers had varied levels of club-building experience. This meant the Forum thread provided valuable insights into how to properly build golf clubs and also help teach others on the proper processes of club building.

Some of these examples were as follows.

Preparing the shafts: Cutting the shafts to the desired length and prepping the tips for insertion into the clubheads.

Fitting the clubheads: Applying epoxy to the shaft tips and carefully fitting them into the clubheads, ensuring proper alignment and seating. This also included ferrule preparation and finishing.

Installing the grips: Applying double-sided tape and grip solvent to slide the grips onto the shafts, ensuring they were properly aligned before leaving them to set. Testers also shared tips and tricks on how to further simplify this process.

Customization: Stamping, oxidizing, special ferrules and more were part of several stellar builds. 

Tester azstu324 remarked, “Building these irons from scratch was a unique experience that gave me a deeper appreciation for the craftsmanship involved. The high-quality materials and precise tolerances made the assembly process smooth and enjoyable.”

Performance on the Course

The performance of the Toura Golf irons on the course was impressive. Even though these are not the most forgiving irons, our testers highlighted several key aspects about their on-course performance. 

Feel and Feedback:

The forged S25C steel provided exceptional feel and responsiveness. JRDuck40 noted, “The feedback and feel from these irons are outstanding, providing a level of precision I’ve never experienced before.” Testers reported a solid, satisfying feel on well-struck shots and useful feedback on mishits.

Shot-Shaping Ability:

The irons allowed for precise shot-making, enabling testers to shape shots with ease. The workability of the irons was praised, with azstu324 stating, “I could shape shots effortlessly, whether I needed a draw, fade, or straight shot.”

Distance Control:

Testers found the irons offered excellent distance control, helping them achieve consistent yardages. ctg44 mentioned, “These irons have improved my shot-making capabilities, allowing me to hit more greens in regulation with better distance control.”

Trajectory and Spin:

The ability to control trajectory and spin was highlighted. Testers could adjust their ball flight to suit different conditions, enhancing their versatility on the course. JRDuck40 emphasized, “The control over trajectory and spin allowed me to adapt to varying course conditions, giving me an edge in my game.”

Consistency and Accuracy:

The precision and accuracy of the irons were highly appreciated. Testers reported improved consistency in their ball striking, leading to better overall performance. Ctg44 noted, “The accuracy of these irons has significantly boosted my confidence, knowing I can rely on them for precise shots.”

However, it was noted by testers that these are still blades or smaller cavity-back irons that are built more for precision so there were noticeable differences when shots were not hit on the center of the club face. They agreed that these would be better played by those with better ball-striking abilities. 

Tester ctg44 added: “These irons have improved my shot-making capabilities, allowing me to hit more greens in regulation.”

Community Engagement While Testing

Testers valued the opportunity to share their build experiences with the MyGolfSpy community. The collaborative aspect of the review process allowed for valuable insights and feedback from other golf enthusiasts. David Leighton Reid stated: “Engaging with the community and sharing our build stories made this experience even more enjoyable and educational.”

Final Grades and Thoughts

Even with the build portion of this test, we wanted testers to grade the iron sets as they would any other member testing experience. This meant a full review and grade out of 100 upon final review. 

The Toura irons received grades of 96, 93, 92 and 96. When we asked our testers to wrap up with their final thoughts here is what they said. 

David Leighton Reid. “The Toura CB irons are definitely a keeper for me. After becoming accustomed to the smaller, less offset head, I have thoroughly enjoyed playing these irons. In my opinion, the Toura CB irons are just as good as my PXG gamers. Or even Mizuno irons that I have played in the past.”

JRDuck40: “I was shocked that the Toura Golf CBs did this well. I thought I was locked in on my 101Ts and I was dead wrong … If you are looking for something that isn’t from the big 4 and you want that top quality, you need to put Toura on your short list of DTC.

Japanese Prestige

CTG44: “ If you are looking for a set of custom irons that feel utterly amazing. Then pair with a premium golf ball can be bent to any specification you need (upright, flat, stronger, weaker, etc.), will be reasonably forgiving on almost every type of contact, look flat out beautiful. They are actually priced reasonably for a hand-forged Japanese iron. Now run and get your set of Toura CB irons before they are sold out. As long as you are willing to put in some time on the range to dial in your distances and understand the spin rates and ball flight”

Azstu324: “Kyoei forged and finished the clubs for Toura golf, but I created what they are. That’s exactly the experience that Toura Golf is providing by offering these beautiful blank raw heads. Just like the first strike of the forge hammer on the glowing amber carbon steel imparts the soul and life into the golf club head. I too have put a piece of my soul into these clubs. I sincerely want to thank Toura Golf for this amazing experience!“

Overall Experience

The overall experience with the Toura Golf irons was overwhelmingly positive. Testers appreciated their craftsmanship, minimalist design and exceptional performance. The build process added a unique and rewarding dimension to the review, making the testers more connected to their clubs.

The Toura Golf Irons Build Test provided an enriching experience for the MyGolfSpy testers. The high-quality materials, exceptional performance and rewarding build process made these irons a standout choice for golf enthusiasts. 

Testers recommended the Toura Golf irons for golfers who appreciate high-quality, customizable equipment and enjoy the hands-on experience of building their own clubs. The performance benefits and community engagement aspects were also highlighted.

Become A Forum Tester

Do you want to be a tester? We have an opportunity every week for our Forum members to participate. We have a full guide for anyone considering becoming a MyGolfSpy Forum Tester.

MyGolfSpy Forum: How To Be A Tester Guide

The post Forum Member Review: Toura Golf Club Built Test appeared first on MyGolfSpy.

Article Link: https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/tour-golf-club-build-test/