Great Britain and Ireland claims record PGA Cup win

Great Britain and Ireland won the PGA Cup for the first time since 2017 after they completed a record breaking victory over the USA.

The score shows GB&I with a record haul of 16.5 points to 9.5 from the Americans. Captain David Scott had his side braced for an away fightback but it never materialized as the hosts saw the job through comfortably.

Toby Hunt's three foot par putt on the 15th to go 3UP with three to play clinched the crucial half point for the required 13.5 to end nine years of hurt and claim just an eighth PGA Cup in the contest’s history and second at the K Club.

"The putt I holed on 15 was a massive relief. It was a good up and down from the back edge. David told me that I had secured it so that made the drive down 16 a bit easier! It feels great after getting stuffed two years ago it's a great feeling to beat them in the same sort of fashion," said the Welshman.

"You try not to get ahead of yourself I had a look at the scoreboard on 15 and thought I had the chance to do something quite cool that not many golfers have the chance to do. In fairness to Brandon he hit a lot of good shots out there, just so relieved to get the win."

The icing on the cake came through Ben Amor, whose half point with Ryan Lenehan was enough to see GB&I reach the magic 16.5 and cap off a sensational week.

GB&I captain David Scott cut an emotional figure as the victory was confirmed and he was overcome with pride.

"I am absolutely amazed by the quality of the team I have had this week. The strength and depth even though on paper we weren't as strong the heart in the team is tremendous. I am delighted for them."

Scott took inspiration from the Great Britain and Ireland Walker Cup team who ended eleven years of hurt in Lahinch last month.

"Staying where your feet are is a great expression I got from Dean Robertson. Don't look behind or ahead, just stay where you are.

“We could have easily taken the eye off the ball. I gave them a challenge to win every singles match. If you focus purely on your own match then you should get the result.

“If there's apathy before you know it the Americans have you by the throat. I spoke to them last night, gave them a hard message.

“We saw it in Medinah, the Walker Cup you can't forecast anything you have to prepare yourself.

“It was about staying with the process, believing in yourself. We wanted ten points out there but so thrilled for all of these guys."

The standout player of the week was Scotland’s Graeme Robertson who rolled back the years to his Home Internationals days with five wins from five matches courtesy of a 3&1 triumph over Brian Bergstol.

"Happy with that, played for Scotland in the Home Internationals years ago and managed to get six out of six!" smiled Robertson. "It was in my head to get full points again, I knew I was playing well."

Zach Haynes drew first blood in the singles with an accomplished 2&1 victory over Ash Mansell but GB&I had no reason to worry as the formality of their win was sealed not long after.

Simon Thornton earned a half point before Robertson’s clean sweep before Jesse Droemer put another red point on the board but at that stage it was a case of who was going to get the half point needed for GB&I.

It came down to Hunt and Matt Ford. Both players needed halved holes on 15 and 16 respectively. It was Welshman Hunt who got the job done a few minutes earlier before he sealed a 3&2 win over Brandon Bingaman. Ford saw off Garrett Sapp 2&1.

Amazingly, GB&I finished the week unbeaten across the five sessions with Ben Kern and Tyler Collett tagging on wins towards the bottom of the draw.

Harry Casey, who had been too unwell to participate on Friday, clinched his first full point in the anchor match winning 4&3 over Austin Hurt to ensure all ten GB&I players contributed at least a point.

Amor then halved the 18th with Lenahan for the record breaking GB&I points haul, eclipsing the 16 they amassed in their last win in 2017.

Article Link: Great Britain and Ireland claims record PGA Cup win - News - Irish Golf Desk