I Really Want to, But I Just Can’t Recommend These Golf Shoes

There is a lot of cool gear in the golf equipment world that doesn’t always fit neatly into Most Wanted Tests or Buyer’s Guides. You still want to know how it performs. In our We Tried It series, we put gear to the test and let you know if it works as advertised.

What We Tried:

Allen Edmonds Cyprus Derby golf shoes. By far the most expensive pair of golf shoes I’ve tried. And I’ve tried a lot.

Who Tried It:

Connor. Director of Content and resident sneakerhead. As a child, I gained an appreciation for dress shoes from with my dad who loves Allen Edmonds. I even wore a pair to my wedding. When I found out they made a golf shoe, I knew I had to give them a go.

More alluring than the brand name, though, was the price. Is a $350 pair of golf shoes actually worth it?

Spoiler: I don’t think so. But read on for the rest of my thoughts.

Form or function?

When splurging on a pair of golf shoes like the Allen Edmonds Cyprus Derby, the main question you need to ask yourself is whether you prioritize form or function.

If your answer is form, you’ll more than likely be a fan of the Cyprus Derby golf shoes. If function is all you’re after, you’ll be left wanting more. Let me explain.

Form

Allen Edmonds is known for exquisite craftsmanship and top-tier materials. When I say that the full-grain leather is buttery soft, I mean it. The Cyprus Derby has that unforgettable leather and glue smell that I wish I could turn into an air freshener or Bath and Body Works candle.

Outside of the actual materials used, the Cyprus Derby has a classic shape and styling that’s very wearable on and off the course. For all intents and purposes, the Cyprus Derby is a great looking shoe and a great feeling shoe.

That’s the form over function talking.

Function

As far as function goes, I break golf shoes into three main performance attributes: comfort, traction and stability. Of the three, the Cyprus Derby hangs its hat on comfort. While not the most comfortable golf shoe I’ve ever worn, there’s something about a leather shoe molding to your foot that makes the fit one-to-one.

That’s comfy. The leather-lined sockliner provides some good step-in comfort, too. Plenty to get through an 18-hole walk, but definitely not enough for 36.

Outside of that, the traction and stability are nothing to write home about. The VIBRAM outsole provided decent grip in dry conditions but isn’t going to hold up well in really wet terrain. Plus, there’s no real outrigger or torsional support in the shoe so the stability suffers.

Again, not bad, but not good. It’s simply mediocre at best in this regard.

Putting it all together

If we put it all together, what do we get? Honestly, a overpriced golf shoe but a very, very nice casual shoe that also works for the range or for a casual round.

Basically, I would rather rock the Allen Edmonds Cyprus Derby to the office and the range than the golf course. It’s just too darn expensive for what it is to confidently recommend to anyone BUT the golfer who wants one of the fanciest golf shoes money can buy.

It’s a well-made shoe with average performance at a bad price. If you want something that meshes traditional style with modern performance, the adidas MC80 or PUMA Avant are much better options.

Check Price

The post I Really Want to, But I Just Can’t Recommend These Golf Shoes appeared first on MyGolfSpy.

Article Link: https://mygolfspy.com/we-tried-it/i-really-want-to-but-i-just-cant-recommend-these-golf-shoes/