It stings quite a bit – Rahm

Jon Rahm says he feels he let himself and Spain down after surrendering a four-shot lead in the final round of the Paris Olympics golf on Sunday.

The two-time Major champion appeared poised to win Spain’s second gold in Paris when he took a commanding advantage with eight holes remaining, but ended up not even finishing on the podium.

“I don’t remember the last time I played a tournament and I felt this,” said Rahm.

“I don’t know what the word is because I not only feel like I let myself down, but to just not get it done for the whole country of Spain, it’s a lot more painful than I would like it to be.”

Rahm was 20 under par for the tournament when he made his sixth birdie of the day on the 10th hole, but followed that with back-to-back bogeys.

A seven on the par-five 14th all but ended his chances of gold, which was secured by Scottie Scheffler on 19 under.

Rahm needed a birdie on the 18th to force a playoff for bronze with Hideki Matsuyama, but he made another bogey to finish tied fifth with Rory McIlroy.

“I’ve gotten the question: where this tournament would rank in my opinion or what I would think it would feel like to win,” he added.

“And I think by losing today, I’m getting a much deeper appreciation of what this tournament means to me than if I had won any medal.

“I’m getting a taste of how much it really mattered. I’ve been very honoured to represent Spain in many, many different events, and to not get this one done stings quite a bit.”

© Agence France-Presse

The post It stings quite a bit – Rahm appeared first on Compleat Golfer.

Article Link: It stings quite a bit – Rahm