Olympic Golf Finally Gets The Juice It Deserves

PARIS—Eight years into the modern Olympic golf experiment, the event finally found its voice during a sweaty, giddy first round of these Games. In 2016, when golf returned to sports’ biggest stage after a 112-year absence, the soundtrack was howls of protest from traditionalists and mealy-mouthed excuses from the top players who refused to see the big picture (Rory Mcllroy later admitted the noisy concerns about the Zika virus were just a convenient alibi). The Tokyo Games, in 2021, were played in deafening silence with fans banished because of a global pandemic.

But on Thursday at Le Golf National, Olympic golf was embraced like never before. A crowd 25,000 strong made the long journey to a distant suburb to give the competition the juice it deserves, at last. The fans serenaded the players with cheers, chants and the occasional national anthem. Practitioners of the loneliest sport could finally feel in their bones that they are playing for something larger than themselves.

Of his opening tee shot, Min Woo Lee said, “I had kind of like a tear in my eye because I made the team and I’m representing Australia. I didn’t know I was going to react like that. But it was pretty cool. I think that just shows how much it means to me. I think a lot of people say, ‘Why is golf an Olympic sport?’ I think for myself, now I know why.”

Thorbjørn Oleson of Denmark, an 8-time winner on the European Tour, said, “It’s a very different atmosphere from any other tournament. To see all the different flags, to hear people singing their anthems, it gives you a little bit of goosebumps.”

Joaquin Niemann of Chile (who is in third place with a 65, two strokes behind leader Hideki Matsuyama), added, “It does feel more special than any other golf tournament.”

It is remarkable that the French, who invented the concept of ennui, may wind up saving the reputation of golf in the Games. The host venue looks more like Florida than France but it is a big-time stage, with a rich history of hosting the French Open and the 2018 Ryder Cup. Golf is always laboring to grow its fanbase—the big, loud crowds were notable because many of the spectators were clearly attending their first tournament. “I didn’t really know what to expect but there’s definitely more people than I expected,” says Scottie Scheffler (67, T6). “We were standing on number two and there were camera clicks going off all over the place. I’m like, ‘Oh, my gosh.'” This, uh, enthusiasm and the palpable emotion of the players sent an unmistakable message. “From an overall health of the sport and where this competition sits amongst the hierarchy of the tournaments that we have, yeah, it’s probably an important week,” said McIlroy (68, 15th).

A crowd of more than 25,000 spectators watched the first round at Le Golf National. (Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

Some nations already give the Olympics its due: as has become standard at the Games, the Korean golfers have been dogged by questions of the pressure they feel to win a medal and thus become exempt from their homeland’s mandatory two-year military service. Winning one of the major championships is not good enough in the eyes of the Korean government. Some players in Paris have floated the formerly blasphemous notion that copping a gold medal would carry more weight than winning the Masters. “I think every single golf fan knows what the green jacket is,” says Matsuyama, who won in Augusta in 2021. “But I think every single national in Japan would know what a gold medal is in the Olympics. I think both are important, but I think the gold medal would have a big impact in Japan.”

Indeed, Henrik Stenson has often said he received more acclaim in Sweden for his silver medal in 2016 than for the British Open victory that same year. “At home, they wouldn’t know what any of the majors are, but everybody knows what the gold medal means,” adds Olesen. “If we’re able to win a medal, it would lead to a massive change in how people feel about golf. That’s why it is such an important opportunity.”

The espirit de corps of the Games has hit the golfers throughout their stay in Paris, from getting dapped up by NBA superstars during the opening ceremonies to mingling with real jocks in the Athletes Village to spectating at other events, where these competitors face crushing, once-in-a-lifetime pressure. Reigning gold medalist Xander Schauffele (65, 2nd) took in swimming earlier in the week “to get some more motivation and good vibes.” Lee journeyed to Roland Garros seeking inspiration. He says, “I guess in tennis, every point is a yes or no. In golf, there’s a lot of pars and can be kind of mellow. I think I like playing with aggression and emotion. So watching that sport gives me a bit of motivation to make every shot worth it.” 

Scheffler was still raving about Katie Ledecky days after watching her compete. Noting her dominance in the 1,500-meter freestyle, he says, “That would be like me shooting like shooting 57 twenty times. I’m going to have to practice harder.” He was also marveling over the mental toughness of a pint-sized U.S. gymnast: “We watched Suni Lee do her warmup last night on the uneven bars, and she face-planted on the mat coming off of the top bar and the whole gym went silent. That’s like hitting a shank except someone simultaneously punches you in the face.” Yet Lee picked herself up and minutes later executed a perfect routine with Olympic glory hanging in the balance. “I was amazed at their poise,” says Scheffler.

Golf is similarly trying to win hearts and minds at these Games. The raucous first round was a helluva start. Now, athletes used to playing only for themselves can focus on bringing collective joy to their countrymen. Viktor Hovland (70, 29th) is already dreaming of what he would do with a gold medal. “It would be cool to wear it proudly and walk down the street everywhere I go in a super obnoxious way,” he says. “It would be great.”

Top Photo Caption: Hideki Matsuyama leads after round one of the men’s Olympic golf competition in France. (GETTY IMAGES/Keyur Khamar)

The post Olympic Golf Finally Gets The Juice It Deserves appeared first on MyGolfSpy.

Article Link: https://mygolfspy.com/pro-golf/olympic-golf-finally-gets-the-juice-it-deserves/