Our Top 20 Favorite Golf YouTube Channels

One of the only problems with the exploding popularity of YouTube golf is that it’s hard to know where to start.

There are dozens upon dozens of channels, each with a different vibe and focus. Whether it’s instruction, travel, architecture, informal competition or something else entirely, golf lovers have a wide variety of options.

In this ranking, I include a little bit of everything and explain why each of these 20 channels should be on your list when perusing YouTube golf’s many rabbit holes.

20. Taco Golf

Let’s give ’em something to Taco-bout.

Taco Golf, led by Tae Koh, is defined by some seriously good golf, rapid-fire editing and New Zealand-style humor. Personalities include the likes of Luke Kwon, Luke Toomey and Harry Na—there are some great vibes to go around here. Kwon is among the best personalities on YouTube and there is a case that his own channel should go on this list, but I would just recommend any collab video where he is involved.

The channel is under 100,000 subscribers right now, which is criminal. These guys are hysterical.

19. Fried Egg

Architecture nerds, assemble.

The Fried Egg hasn’t reached 200 videos as of this writing, but it’s a great resource if you want to get a better grasp of what goes into golf course design.

This is admittedly a very niche audience, but it hits hard if you are interested in architecture. Check out this explanation of Colonial Country Club’s recent renovation.

18. On The Road With Iona

This might be a surprise for some people, but I am enthralled by some of the content Iona Stephen has been putting out there.

Stephen, a well-known commentator, has put together a unique channel of instruction, random deep dives and playing lessons. This recent video with Butch Harmon is awesome.

What I like about Stephen is that she is a phenomenal interviewer. She’s charming and knows what she is talking about. And in a space where some women are using their bodies to sell, Iona is a shining example where personality and knowledge is the draw.

17. Random Golf Club/Skratch

I’m a huge fan of Erik Anders Lang, so I’m going to cheat and combine two channels into one here.

I think what comes to mind with both of these is the top-tier production value. It’s all shot really well and the editing is tremendous.

Random Golf Club features a wide variety of matches (including with celebrities), but is at its best during the Breaking series where multiple golfers attempt to hit different marks, while playing the tips.

Skratch is best known for its Adventures in Golf series, which is true to its name. This video of EAL at the Louisiana State Penitentiary golf course is in my top 10 favorite pieces of golf video content ever.

16. Rick Shiels

As of this writing, Rick Shiels is at 2.8 million subscribers and more than 2,200 videos. That is 12 years worth of content, which is insane.

Shiels, in a lot of ways, invented golf on YouTube, and he’s still pumping out some good content. It’s a grab bag of instruction, club reviews, matches, attempting to break 75 and other videos in that vein. My favorite I’ve watched is when Tommy Fleetwood plays him in a match (with Shiels starting at 10-under).

It’s probably a valid criticism that Shiels is repetitive and running out of unique ideas at this point, but he is still worthy of being on this list.

15. Athletic Motion Golf

I could probably include 20-30 terrific teaching channels. It’s all personal preference at a certain point.

What I like about Athletic Motion is that everything is clear, concise and explained by science. While it’s not a channel pumping out tons of videos, there is a database of almost 800 clips. Teaching isn’t necessarily like other YouTube golf—a video from six years ago typically stays just as fresh as one last week.

If you are a nerd for swing mechanics, give it a go. Here is an explanation of how pros reach impact vs. how an amateur approaches impact.

14. Golf Sidekick

It’s one thing to watch a great golfer explain how they play—but what about a middling golfer who wears bird shirts and sometimes shows up to the course hungover?

Thailand’s Matt Greene is no PGA Tour player, but he can communicate to average amateurs with humor and basic course management strategies. The quick wit and his down-to-earth disposition makes Greene incredibly approachable.

There is a fast pace to the videos, helped by sudden music changes that correspond to how his golf is going. It’s among the top YouTube golf options for average golfers looking to improve their mental game while also being entertained.

Go plant some feathers to grow birdies, as Greene says.

13. Good Good

Some people are going to be upset Good Good isn’t higher, and some people are going to be upset Good Good is mentioned at all.

The group has changed a lot over the years as it went from a quirky startup to a big business. The quality is down in my opinion, and it’s content that appeals more to a younger audience. If you are my age (32), Good Good gets stale.

However, they are clearing one millions views per video on a regular basis. It’s popular and it’s getting people into the game. It might not be for me, but it’s for a lot of other people. And I can see why teens or other casual golf lovers get excited about it.

Ultimately, that is… good.

12. Padraig Harrington

It was about three years ago when Padraig Harrington started making instructional videos that have resonated with all skill levels.

Someone with the ability of a three-time major champion like Harrington doesn’t always have the capacity to explain the golf swing in a simple, digestible way, but he can offer efficient breakdowns like very few instructors can.

Harrington is straightforward, helpful and brings a lovely personality to his channel. It’s a joy to see someone of his age (52) and pedigree getting involved in the YouTube space.

11. Chris Ryan

Ryan is one of the instructors I have on my list. He’s gifted when it comes to breaking down confusing concepts into something that is much easier to wrap your arms around.

This is an active channel, and it’s pretty much wall-to-wall instruction. I like how he uses actual students and shows how they can improve. It feels more achievable.

You can start anywhere, but I like this clip explaining attack angle with the driver.

10. Not A Scratch Golfer

Canadian Adam Fine leaned on golf while he battled a life-threatening auto-immune liver disease. Through it all, he developed an appreciation for loving the game no matter what it looks like.

Fine’s Not a Scratch Golfer channel revolves around showing that even an average-looking golf swing can produce good scores with a little thought, course management skills and short game touch. And more than anything, he shows that we should all be grateful for the opportunity to play.

You can start anywhere with this channel. Just pick up any cool video and you will get the gist.

9. BustaJack Golf

BustaJack is just two chill dudes who can play solid golf. They don’t take themselves too seriously.

A good place to start with their content is the Golfin’ Old Glory series last year where they played a course from every state over the course of 50 weeks.

I appreciate that their videos are everything you want and nothing you don’t—there are a lot of 18-hole videos condensed into less than 40 minutes. Just golf shot after golf shot with not much filler. As an aside, I would move heaven and earth to have Madjack’s golf swing.

8. Bryson DeChambeau

Yes, that Bryson DeChambeau. The one who almost won the PGA Championship. The guy who has resuscitated his reputation, in part because of his YouTube presence.

Look, I was a Bryson hater and the thought of watching one of his videos sounded like hell to me just a couple years ago. Give him a shot. It’s a lot of golf nerd stuff. I was mesmerized by his ability to play well with Walmart junior clubs—and his explanation of how he adapted with them.

Bryson is just a giant kid at heart, so I think it’s a great avenue for young kids to learn and be entertained.

7. Danny Maude

For pure instruction, Danny Maude is always among my top recommendations.

Golf is a complicated game and Maude’s explanations are simple. I find that he specializes in helping average golfers transfer knowledge to actually performing on the course. There is something about his demeanor that feels calming yet assertive.

He’s a great resource for beginners or anyone looking to get their swing back on track. Try this impact drill video if you want to get started.

6. Peter Finch

Peter Finch is a strong player, as evidenced by how well he performed in the Myrtle Beach Classic qualifier.

With his channel, you get to watch some phenomenal golf at notable venues while also picking up some understandable instruction along the way, like an informal “playing lessons with the pros” segment. Finch is self-deprecating and funny, always adding interesting commentary to keep viewers engaged.

I’ll also add that the graphics, shot trails and overall production value is fantastic. Finch is an entertaining and informative watch.

5. Ron Chopper

This is not a popular channel by subscriber count or views, but I’m early on the Ron Chopper bandwagon.

There is something about this guy (his real name Matt Heath, a club pro from Australia) that just makes me laugh. He has a wonderful attitude and is flat-out hilarious without trying too hard. His channel is just about watching a good golfer with a gorgeous swing have a fun time. I have him ahead of Not a Scratch Golfer and Golf Sidekick in that category because the production quality is better and Mr. Chopper is simply a delight.

Please join me in the crusade to make this man famous.

4. Grant Horvat

Horvat left Good Good near the end of 2022 and has quickly built a channel of better quality.

You have to say that Horvat comes across as an incredibly likable person. His ability to narrate rounds, actively engage with guests and still play high-level golf is something you can’t teach—however, he is someone who needs a guest for his videos to shine.

If you are looking for a place to start, I love this match he played with Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen. Even as a Dolphins fan, I have to admit Allen seems like a good dude.

3. Bryan Bros. Golf

If you are looking for an all-access pass to watch tour-quality golfers play the game at a high level, it’s tough to do better than the Bryan Bros.

Wesley and George got their start with trick shots, but they have mastered the art of entertaining matches. The golf is as good as anything you’ll find on YouTube, and the show is helped immensely when Horvat is included (which is often). George is persistently positive, while Wesley is more known for his chirps and playing the heel role—that deviates from the formula a lot of other channels use.

Give this match with Jon Rahm a try. It’s a good representation of what they are about.

2. Bob Does Sports

Sometimes you just want to be entertained. You want to turn your brain off and laugh along with some ridiculous characters.

Bob Does Sports hits on that type of video better than any channel. Just pick any random video you can find—may I suggest the one where the group attempts to eat 150 chicken nuggets over nine holes of golf?—and enjoy the slapstick comedy of Bobby Fairways, Fat Perez and Joey Coldcuts.

It’s remarkably stupid, bordering on cruel in the most hilarious way. I can’t recommend it enough.

1. No Laying Up

NLU gets the top spot because the diversity of content is extraordinary. A true quality over quantity situation—the HBO of YouTube golf.

The Strapped series—where Neil Schuster and Phil “Big Randy” Landes tackle a golf trip with a limited budget—is some of the best entertainment in golf. The Tourist Sauce series is an Anthony Bourdain-style foray into golf travel. Production value on both are as good as it gets in golf thanks to the talented D.J. Piehowski.

The channel also includes video podcasts, film rooms, random matches and occasional appearances from star pros like Justin Thomas, Jordan Spieth, Cameron Young and Sahith Theegala.

It’s more on the mature side—a true golf lover’s channel—but it hits hard on multiple levels.

Did we miss any channels in this ranking? What is your favorite one?

Let us know below in the comments.

The post Our Top 20 Favorite Golf YouTube Channels appeared first on MyGolfSpy.

Article Link: https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/our-top-20-favorite-golf-youtube-channels/