PING Irons: Which is Right For You?

PING continues to deliver standout irons across multiple categories, each suited for golfers of varying skill levels. In this article, we’ll analyze the performance and rankings of the PING G730, G430, i530, i230 and Blueprint S irons, based on the 2024 Most Wanted iron testing. Each iron is designed for a specific type of golfer and we’ll show how they ranked, highlight their key strengths and discern the types of golfers they are best suited for.

Overview of categories and rankings

• Super game-improvement irons: Built for maximum forgiveness and easy launch, designed for high handicappers and beginners. (10 irons tested)
  • Game-improvement irons: Targeting mid to high handicappers seeking forgiveness and consistent distance. (17 irons tested)
  • Player’s distance irons: Designed for mid to low handicappers looking for distance with some forgiveness. (18 irons tested)
  • Player’s ions: Aimed at low handicappers, emphasizing precision, control, and feel. (19 irons tested)

PING Blueprint S iron.

Defining the difference: PING G Series, i Series and Blueprint Series irons

• G Series (G730, G430): The G series irons are designed for forgiveness and distance. They have a larger clubhead, more perimeter weighting and a lower center of gravity. All of this makes them ideal for mid to high handicappers and beginners looking for help with launch and consistency.
  • i Series (i530, i230): The i series irons are made for mid to low handicappers seeking a blend of control, distance and forgiveness. These irons have a more compact head with less offset, offering a balance between workability and playability.
  • Blueprint Series (Blueprint S): Blueprint irons are built for low handicappers and advanced players. These irons emphasize precision, feel and workability, featuring a compact fully forged design.

Note: The PING Blueprint T was not included in the 2024 Most Wanted testing.

PING i530 players distance irons

Detailed breakdown of each PING iron

PING G730 Irons

• Category: Super game-improvement Irons
  • Overall Ranking: Seventh out of 10
  • Performance Highlights: A lower overall ranking due to eighth-place finishes in accuracy and forgiveness. However, these rankings only tell part of the story as the PING G730 ranked first overall in distance. 

PING G430 Irons

• Category: Game-improvement Irons
  • Ranking: Eighth out of 17
  • Performance Highlights: Unlike its sibling, the G730, the G430 ranked near the bottom in distance with a 16th-place finish. It made up for that lackluster performance by earning a sixth overall finish in accuracy and fifth in forgiveness. 

PING i530 Irons

• Category: Player’s distance Irons
  • Ranking: Third out of 18
  • Performance Highlights: Another PING iron and another entirely different profile. The i530’s lowest rank was second-last in forgiveness. It made up for this very low ranking by coming second in distance and sixth overall in accuracy, leading to a top-three overall ranking. 

PING i230 Irons

• Category: Player’s Irons
  • Ranking: Second out of 19
  • Performance Highlights: The runner-up in the player’s iron category, the i230 had a solid all-around performance, ranking second in accuracy, sixth in distance and tied for 15th in forgiveness. 

PING Blueprint S Irons

• Category: Player’s irons
  • Ranking: Eighth out of 19
  • Performance Highlights: The second club included in this category didn’t fare quite as well but still showed up. The eighth overall performance was a result of T-10 finish in accuracy, T-11 ranking in distance and T-7 ranking in forgiveness. While not a clear standout in any one category, average finishes in all led to a strong overall ranking. 

Comparative rankings and performance overview

PING irons displayed a variety of rankings across the categories. The G430 claimed eighth out of 17 in the game-improvement category, offering solid accuracy (sixth) and forgiveness (fifth), despite a lower finish in distance (16th). The G730, ranking seventh out of 10 in the super game-improvement category, excelled in distance (first) but struggled in forgiveness and accuracy.

In the player’s distance category, the i530 ranked third out of 18, excelling in distance (second) but with lower forgiveness (17th). The i230 performed consistently across the board, finishing second out of 19 in the player’s irons category while the Blueprint S placed eighth, offering average results for accuracy, distance and forgiveness.

PING G430 irons

Suggested golfer profiles

PING G730 irons

• Who They’re Made For: High handicappers and beginners needing maximum distance and easy launch. Golfers looking to add distance to their game should gives these a look as it is where they really excelled in our testing. 
  • Who They’re NOT For: Mid to low handicappers seeking control and shot-shaping ability. The G730 irons are too focused on forgiveness for skilled players. 
Check Price

PING G430 Irons

• Who They’re Made For: Mid to high handicappers looking for a forgiving, easy-to-hit iron with accuracy and forgiveness. These irons are reliable and consistent, making them ideal for golfers who need help with ball striking.
  • Who They’re NOT For: Low handicappers or players focused on shot-shaping and precision. Golfers wanting added distance could also be better suited to other irons in the category. 
Check Price

PING i530 Irons

• Who They’re Made For: Mid to low handicappers seeking a balance of distance and control. The i530 offers distance without sacrificing too much accuracy, perfect for golfers wanting to hit longer without losing playability.
  • Who They’re NOT For: High handicappers who need more forgiveness and consistency. These irons might be too demanding for those still working on ball striking.
Check Price

PING i230 Irons

• Who They’re Made For: Lower handicappers who prioritize precision and control. The i230 irons excel in shot-shaping and offer excellent feel, making them ideal for players who focus on accuracy over distance.
  • Who They’re NOT For: High handicappers or golfers who need more forgiveness. The i230 irons require a consistent swing and aren’t forgiving on mishits.
Check Price

PING Blueprint S Irons

• Who They’re Made For: Advanced players and low handicappers who want maximum control, shot-shaping and feedback. The Blueprint S irons offer minimal forgiveness but are an excellent option for those looking for a fully forged PING iron. 
  • Who They’re NOT For: Mid to high handicappers or those who need help with forgiveness and consistency. These irons are not suited for players who struggle with ball striking.
Check Price

PING i530 iron

Conclusion

PING’s 2024 iron lineup showcases a range of performance capabilities across various skill levels. Whether you’re a high handicapper needing maximum forgiveness and distance with the G730, a mid-handicapper seeking control and accuracy with the i530, or a low-handicapper looking for precision and shot-shaping with the i230 or Blueprint S, PING has an iron to suit your game. While rankings provide valuable insight, it’s important to get fitted to ensure the best possible performance tailored to your unique swing and playing style.

You can find the full results from this year’s Most Wanted testing in the links below.

Best Super GameImprovement Irons of 2024

Best GameImprovement Irons of 2024

Best PlayersDistance Irons of 2024

Best Players Irons of 2024

The post PING Irons: Which is Right For You? appeared first on MyGolfSpy.

Article Link: https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/ping-irons-which-is-right-for-you/