Polarizing Products: L.A.B. Putters

“Putting doesn’t have to suck”—or so L.A.B. Golf says—but is their method of madness just too far out there to catch on for the masses? 

L.A.B. Golf putters have created a fascinating debate, with their Lie Angle Balance technology promising effortless alignment and more made putts. Yet their unconventional looks, center-shafted designs and high price leave many golfers divided. While some swear these putters have revolutionized their game, others find the feel too restrictive and the aesthetics too far from tradition. 

Are L.A.B. putters a game-changing innovation or just a flashy fad? Whether you’re a fan or a skeptic, we want to hear your thoughts. What side of the L.A.B. fence are you on? Let the debate commence!

About L.A.B. Putters

It shouldn’t come as a surprise that this is our first featured “Polarizing Product.” 

There have been many pieces on L.A.B. putters written by MyGolfSpy staff. Here are a few must-reads:

L.A.B. stands for “Lie Angle Balance.” The extremely short version is that L.A.B. putters are balanced so the face of the putter wants to stay directed toward the target. Toe-hang and face-balanced putters don’t so the stroke has to compensate for the twisting the putter wants to do. L.A.B. putters reduce this and allow the hands to do less and the putter to naturally do more of the work. Sounds simple enough, right? So why are they polarizing?

Why L.A.B. Putters are creating buzz

The bottom line is the professional tours create equipment buzz. People like or want to use the same equipment the pros use. L.A.B. putters have been around for a while but it wasn’t until pros like Adam Scott, Will Zalatoris, Lucas Glover, Ben An and Phil Mickelson started using them that they caught the attention of the masses. 

Add in the fact If they have worked for those pros who have been known to struggle with putting at times, they surely should, at the very least, be an option for us, no?

The polarizing argument

L.A.B. putters are not traditional, to put it mildly. The original DF2.1 has been called some, ahem, interesting names. There is no denying that it is unique. The L.A.B. MEZZ MAX is their take on a traditional fanged-style putter but still looks very different. Then we have the LINK.1, which is a slimmed blade (my current gamer) and yet still has the unique twist of being center-shafted. Finally, there is the new DF3, which is an updated version of the DF2.1, offering a similar style in a smaller package that could be more appealing for many. Is their appearance just too off-putting for you to ever use one?

So the looks are different but, with four models, there should be one that fits any golfer’s eye, right? Well, all L.A.B. putters are center-shafted which for many people is a turnoff. Why? I’m not sure, but if that is you, let us know.

Maybe the biggest reason for them being polarizing is the broomstick offering. Without getting into the anchoring debate, the broomstick method looks different, plays different and definitely stands out on the course. What are your thoughts on the long version?

There is also the price. A stock L.A.B. putter goes for north of $400 and custom options can go for a lot more. Are they worth the investment?

Finally, we have the feel—not the feel off the face but the feel of the putting stroke. Due to how they are built, we often hear that they feel like they are on rails. While great for some golfers, many do not like this as they feel it constricts or fights against their natural putting stroke. Have you ever tried one? If so, what did you think?

The flip side 

While opinions matter, facts are facts and, for many golfers, L.A.B. putters help them make more putts. They believe in the technology and feel the price and style drawbacks don’t detract from the other advantages these putters have to offer.

Your take

I thoroughly enjoy my L.A.B. putter. Despite that, I have never used a DF2.1 because it is a bit too “out there” even for me. So Instead of me telling you why L.A.B. putters might be the latest breakthrough in putting technology, I want to hear from you—the L.A.B. converts! Tell us why you made the switch and how/if these putters have transformed your game. Do you love the unconventional look? Do you find putting simpler and more effective? Share your experiences in the comments.

For those of you who are still skeptical, your perspective is equally as important. What’s holding you back? Appearance, price, feel, something else? Let’s get a lively discussion going and really dig into what makes these putters so divisive.

What side of the L.A.B. fence are you on? Let us know and join the conversation!

The post Polarizing Products: L.A.B. Putters appeared first on MyGolfSpy.

Article Link: https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/polarizing-products-lab-golf-putters/