PXG 0311 GEN7 P and XP Irons have QuantumCOR Technology

If you’re looking for the headline, it’s this:

PXG says GEN7 – its new flagship ultra-premium iron family – represents the greatest leap forward in company history and the largest GEN-to-GEN gains ever.

Yes, that’s the kind of thing we expect to hear with nearly any release. I mean, I’ve yet to be in a room where the R&D guys were like, There’s really not much here. Frankly, it’s not even our best work.

Having said that, there’s more than enough here to suggest golfers should experience better performance with GEN7.

PXG 0311 GEN7 irons – Two models

PXG 0311 GEN7 P and XP irons

As was the case with GEN6, the GEN7 lineup consists of two models: GEN7 P (Players) and GEN7 XP (Xtreme Performance). For those looking for a GEN7 T iron, I’ll remind you that what was the “Tour” offering in the GEN lineup was rolled into the 0317 (better players series) not long after GEN6 launched.

PXG classifies the GEN7 P and GEN7 XP as player’s distance irons. As is the case with the new TaylorMade offerings we discussed last week, the PXG offerings exist at opposite ends of the category. The P sits nearer the true player’s side of things (personally, I’d classify it as a middle-of-the-category offering). The XP drifts to the extreme distance/game-improvement end of the category, though it’s important to be clear that PXG does not view XP as a game-improvement iron.

PXG 0311 GEN7 P and XP irons

In the PXG universe, game-improvement is the exclusive domain of the new Black Ops iron.

The two models share a common technology story and, with that, the relative differences are simply these: the XP is bigger (heel to toe and top to bottom) and has a wider sole, thicker topline and more offset; the XP’s lofts are a bit stronger to provide more distance while the larger shape contributes to higher MOI.

Before we put some numbers on things, let’s dig into construction that makes all possible.

5X Forged Milled

PXG 0311 GEN7 Irons

As with previous models, PXG heads featured 5x forged 8620 bodies. 8620 is a versatile steel used in both forging and castings. It’s not the softest material on the market but it’s also more resistant to dinging and denting than softer materials like 1025.

After forging is complete, the back cavity is milled and, while I suppose there’s something to be said for the resulting aesthetics, the milling process allows PXG to create a thinner body than is possible through forging alone while also achieving tighter tolerances.

The back cavity of PXG 0311 GEN7 irons is milled for greater precision

Once the HT1770 face is attached, the heads are robotically polished which again contributes to tighter tolerances.

PXG says its tolerances for finished parts are +/- one gram which is certainly among the tightest, if not the tightest, in the industry.

Power Channel

Power Channel was added in GEN5. It’s basically a U-shaped groove on the backside of face. PXG’s irons tends to launch a bit lower than similar designs on the market. Power Channel seeks to mitigate that by creating a targeted flex profile that works to create higher launch. How well that works in GEN7 is something we’ll be taking a closer look at.

Precision Weight Technology

PXG GEN7 irons feature precision weight technology

As with the past couple of generations, PXG GEN7 irons offer what the company calls Precision Weight Technology.  In previous iterations, that amounted to a centrally placed steel weight.

The swappable weight design allows PXG fitters to add or remove weight to the clubhead during the fitting process. It speaks to the idea that there is no head (and, by extension, swing weight) that’s right for everyone. I may be fine with stock, heavier may work better for you and your buddy (let’s call him Steve) might get along better with a lighter head.

The ripple in the GEN7 lineup is that PXG has added a titanium insert that surrounds the weight. To be clear, we’re not talking about a titanium weight but rather a surrounding structure that anchors the weight screw.

As with most multi-material stories, adding the titanium insert allowed PXG to save some weight from the center of the club and reallocate it to the perimeter to improve MOI.

Tungsten weighting

There;s tungsten in the to of the PXG GEN7 irons

Previous iterations of PXG GEN-series irons have featured visible tungsten weighting in the heel and toe. With GEN7, PXG is still leveraging 20 grams of tungsten but this time it’s anchored in an internal pocket.

That leaves GEN7 as the first GEN iron without PXG’s signature screws.

Bro, is it even PXG without the screws?

There’s a part of me that misses the industrial look but it’s also true that the trend is toward exceptionally clean designs (even in the player’s distance category). Wit that, it’s likely that the more streamlined aesthetics will have broader appeal.

QuantumCOR

PXG GEN7 irons feature QuantumCOR technologyLike its other polymers, PXG’s QuantumCOR is hidden behind the face.

Saving perhaps the best for last, PXG GEN7 P and GEN7 XP irons feature a new polymer filler material called QuantumCOR. As with its other fillings, PXG isn’t saying exactly what the proprietary material is but, according to Chief Product Officer Brad Schweigert, QuantumCore is the result of a 10-year quest.

As we’ve mentioned in past stories, the industry isn’t exactly in full agreement over the benefit of putting material behind the face. While there typically are sound and feel advantages, there is a school of thought that says that anything behind the face inhibits its ability to flex and ultimately there’s a speed penalty for that.

PXG’s position is that QuantumCOR is a highly resilient material that allows it to control speed and deflection to produce faster and more consistent results. 

PXG says QuantumCOR makes GEN7 irons faster.

It’s the bit of magic that helps to explain why the company claims GEN7 is its first iron that pushes up against the USGA’s COR limit.

PXG GEN7 iron performance

PXG 0311 GEN7 PPXG 0311 GEN7 P Iron

Lost in the occasional bluster and frequent screaming through your TV is that there’s plenty of substance behind the brand. PXG’s R&D team shares as much, if not more, data than anyone in the industry.

The requisite and obvious disclaimer here is that the data comes from PXG’s internal testing but it’s nevertheless worth discussing as it relates to performance expectations.

It’s also worth a passing mention that loft and length specs haven’t changed from GEN6 to GEN7. What I discuss below is apples-to-apples robot testing.

The abridged version is that the PXG GEN7 P and PXG GEN7 XP irons are faster, longer and more forgiving than their GEN6 counterparts. As you would expect, PXG says its new irons compare favorably to competitors’ offerings as well.

Again, I’ve never had anyone tell me they’re almost as good as the other guys.

PXG 0311 GEN7 XPPXG 0311 GEN7 XP Iron

This isn’t a “10-yards-longer” situation but PXG’s data plays the gains at around 3.5 yards on average. That comes with equivalent launch angles and a tick less spin than GEN6.

And while that’s good, I suppose, the meaningful takeaway from the data isn’t that the irons are faster, longer and straighter on average. It’s that all three benefits are achieved with greater consistency.

Said another way: best to best, PXG’s GEN7 irons are better than GEN6 by nearly every meaningful metric PXG has shared, but they also achieve better averages by narrowing the gap between good shots and bad shots.

Dispersion is tighter. Frankly, I think that matters more than the distance gains.

Based on the provided data, there’s no reason not to think that when I hit GEN7 side by side with GEN6 I won’t see similar results.

PXG 0311 GEN7PXG 0311 GEN7 P 7-Iron
PXG 0311 GEN7 XP 7-Iron

The lingering question for me will be around playability metrics. PXG’s data shows that spin rates are a tick lower with GEN7. With that, the one concern I have is whether golfers will be able to achieve the combination of height, descent and spin rates necessary to hold greens.

Approach play isn’t a long-drive contest. To be sure, I’ll take the distance when I can get it. I always want the shortest club in my hands but the ball still needs to land soft and hold the green.

Finding the answer is on my to-do list.

Specs, pricing, availability

Stock length and loft specs for PXG GEN7 P and GEN7 XP Irons carry over from the previous generation. As a fully custom offering, there is no stock shaft or grip. PXG’s shaft catalog is reasonably robust and includes popular options from True Temper, Project X, Nippon and KBS.

Retail price for PXG 0311 GEN7 P and XP irons is $229.99 per iron ($239.99 in Xtreme Dark).

Available now.

For more information, visit PXG.com.

The post PXG 0311 GEN7 P and XP Irons have QuantumCOR Technology appeared first on MyGolfSpy.

Article Link: https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/first-look/pxg-0311-gen7-p-and-xp-irons-have-quantumcor-technology/