Ryan Cairns Column: Because he is Tiger

In golf, one name towers above the rest in our generation.

Born into a military home, and marred by the memory of war from the day he was given his name, by a father whose inner battles forged the toughest competitor the game has ever seen. The mere mention of his name evokes a sense of reverence and admiration, for he is not just a golfer, but a symbol of excellence and resilience. Despite his setbacks and struggles, there remains a glimmer of hope, in the belief that Tiger’s final tale is yet to be written.

Tiger Woods is more than a golfer; he is a phenomenon, a trailblazer who has forever changed the landscape of the sport.

From his remarkable debut at The Masters in 1997 to his historic, multiple victories at the US Open, The Open Championship and The PGA Championship, Tiger has left an indelible mark on golf’s history. His dominance on the course, incomparable ability to focus, and unyielding determination have made him the legend of a sport who did not just ‘move the needle’ like Brady, Jordan or Messi have done in their own sports – because over the past three decades in golf, Tiger has been the needle.

From transcending racial barriers to revolutionising the way the game is played, Tiger has been a transformative figure in our game. He has brought new audiences to the sport, inspired a generation of young players, and elevated the professional game to the unprecedented heights of today.

Despite its current state of turmoil, I believe the light at the end of this tunnel will undoubtedly be found with the help of the GOAT once more. All markers are at least pointed in that direction, following his recent lifetime exemption being granted by the PGA Tour.

Despite his well-documented struggles with injury and personal challenges, Tiger remains a beacon of hope for golf fans and enthusiasts around the world.

The optimism surrounding his return to form is not just wishful thinking; it is rooted in the belief that his passion for the game, unparalleled work ethic and unquenchable thirst for success will propel him to new heights again.

At least that is my personal belief.

The prospect of Tiger winning another Major is not just a dream; it is a possibility. Why would he keep entering tournaments if he does not believe he can win again?

His triumph at The Masters, just five short years ago, is a testament to his enduring greatness and ability to defy the odds.

As an eternal optimist and a fervent believer in the power of dreams, I am convinced Tiger can add one more Major to his illustrious résumé.

When people ask me how I can believe something so far-fetched, I always have the same response.

Because he is Tiger Woods.

– This column first appeared in the August 2024 issue of Compleat Golfer magazine.

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

Compleat Golfer August 2024

The post Ryan Cairns Column: Because he is Tiger appeared first on Compleat Golfer.

Article Link: Ryan Cairns Column: Because he is Tiger