Ryan Cairns Column: Unwavering torch of passion

In the hallowed grounds of golf, where the echoes of victories past mingle with the whispers of legends, there exists a timeless bond that transcends boundaries and unites players in the pursuit of excellence.

As I wander through the memories of columns gone by, I am reminded of the indomitable spirit of the Olympics – a beacon of unity, strength and unwavering passion that ignites the heart of every competitor.

At one point in time, I was on the outside looking in during golf’s return to the Olympics at the Rio Games. The qualifying criteria were different at the time, to the point where even as a journeyman pro, I found myself on the brink of an Olympic debut. The call from the sports ministry never came, but the flame had been lit in all of us who tuned in to witness the rebirth of what is now one of the greatest accolades in the game.

The memories of a life and career gone by took me all the way back to a sun-drenched morning at the historic St Andrews links, where the ancient spirits of the game dance in harmony with the modern-day champions.

Here, amidst the rolling greens and salt-kissed air, I witnessed a symphony of skill and determination that mirrored the Olympic ethos – a relentless pursuit of greatness, tempered by respect for the traditions that bind us all, as dozens of us Junior Open competitors that week bore witness to Tiger’s record winning margin in 2000 from inside the ropes. Our own camaraderie from that experience of wearing matching shirts and being ushered around by officials has lived on, in friendships to the present day.

Fast forward to a rain-soaked afternoon at Leopard Creek, where the relentless storm clouds painted the sky in shades of grey. It was here, amidst the tumultuous weather, that I witnessed the true essence of adversity – on a course with zero forgiveness, where even the greatest champions became its most prized prey, the players and fans were always united by a shared love for the harmonious balance between the game and mother nature herself.

Amidst the azalea-lined fairways of Augusta National just one week before The Masters, a different kind of magic unfolded on a college recruitment trip. Here, the meticulous precision of each blade of grass, the strategic calculations on every hole, echoed the spirit of battles gone by – the quest for perfection that transcends physical prowess and delves deep into the realms of mental fortitude and unwavering resolve, culminating in the donning of the Green Jacket was palpable and that was a whole week before the patrons and players arrived.

These days my rounds are spent in the quiet serenity of local courses, where the hum of the city fades into the background and the rustling leaves become our only soundtrack, as I now find solace in the simplicity of the game.

Here, amidst friends and fellow enthusiasts, I rediscovered the true spirit of the game itself – not in the grandeur of the event, but in the camaraderie, respect and sheer joy of playing the sport we all hold dear, just as much as it holds us accountable.

As I look back on these memories from past columns, I am reminded that golf, like the Olympics, is not just a competition – it is a celebration of human resilience, unity and the unyielding pursuit of excellence.

Each swing, each round, each moment spent on and off the fairway, is a testament to the indomitable spirit that drives us all to reach for new heights and inspire others to do the same, regardless of the outcome.

So, as we carry the torch of passion for our own game forward, let us remember that the true essence of golf lies not in the trophies we hoist or the records we break, but in the journey itself – a journey filled with challenges, triumphs and the unwavering spirit that resonates deeply in the Olympian within each and every one of us.

– This column first appeared in the September 2024 issue of Compleat Golfer magazine.

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

Photo: Kristy Sparow/Getty Images

The post Ryan Cairns Column: Unwavering torch of passion appeared first on Compleat Golfer.

Article Link: Ryan Cairns Column: Unwavering torch of passion