The Do’s and Don’ts of Topgolf

Have you been to Topgolf? It’s the first place I was able to experience golf together with my wife.

Topgolf is, by and large, Callaway’s cash cow. Why? Because it’s fun, no-frills and a easy way for the non-golfer to find joy in such a frustrating game.

Its success is largely dependent on those that are new to the game or completely unfamiliar. That said, there’s still a host of “serious” golfers that enjoy the occasional round of Angry Birds and a few pretzel bites.

Social media has been a sounding board of opinions on proper etiquette at Topgolf. I’ve seen too many videos of golfers being ridiculed for bringing their own clubs or going through their pre-shot routine like they’re standing on the first tee at Augusta National.

I figured it was time to set the record straight. Whether you’ve never been or you’re a regular, here are the do’s and don’ts of Topgolf.

Do: Wear a glove (if you want)

I typically don’t wear a glove, but for those that do it’s never a bad idea to bring your glove to Topgolf. The last thing you need is to inadvertently heave a driver down range because it’s too slippery. A glove is also a pretty good idea for a new golfer whose hands aren’t used to the friction caused by the grip.

Don’t: Use a rangefinder

Best Rangefinder 2024

While you might be tempted to bring a rangefinder to really dial in your distances, Topgolf’s interactive user interface provides distances to each of the flags and key areas of the “course”. If I see you shooting a flag with your Bushnell at Topgolf, I’m telling you to put it away. It’s not that serious, bro!

Do: Bring that new driver you’ve been anxious to hit

While it’s not uncommon to see people bring their set of clubs to Topgolf, I’m admittedly on the fence on whether this is psycho behavior or not. I do see some benefit, especially if you live somewhere with a cold and snowy winter. If you’ve picked up a new driver in January and won’t be able to play it until the snow melts in April, I think it’s appropriate to take a few wacks at the local Topgolf (they all have heated hitting bays).

Don’t: Wear golf shoes

Our tester liked the spikes on the FootJoy Tour Alpha Triple BOA Spiked Golf Shoe

There is absolutely no reason for you to wear golf shoes to Topgolf. Especially spikes. They’ll do more damage to the artificial turf (and perhaps your ACL) than anything else. If you MUST wear golf shoes, opt for something like an Air Jordan that looks more like a casual shoe. Don’t make it obvious!

Do: Have fun

Topgolf Callaway 2023 financials

We’ve reached the point in the piece where I tell you to take my advice with a grain of beer salt. Topgolf is meant to be fun. In my opinion, things like rangefinders, golf shoes and more take away from the overall experience and make it feel too much like golf.

Topgolf shouldn’t feel like golf. It should be relaxed, frustration-free and most of all, a time to enjoy good company. In short, do whatever you need to do to make Topgolf fun, not frustrating, especially if you’re bringing a first-time golfer along for the ride.

The post The Do’s and Don’ts of Topgolf appeared first on MyGolfSpy.

Article Link: https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/the-dos-and-donts-of-topgolf/