Toulon and Sons Small Batch Scotland Putter

• The Toulon Golf Small Batch Scotland putter is inspired by the Old Course at St Andrews.
  • The Toulon Scotland features a three-step blade design and a tartan headcover created by Seamus Golf.
  • Available Aug. 23 at ToulonGolf.com with a MSRP of $1,800.

With new a putter comes new knowledge

The announcement of the new Toulon Scotland Small Batch putter forced me to learn some things. It is not the first time this has happened with a Toulon release either.

For example, when the Small Batch putters first launched I had no idea that the 904L stainless steel that they use for their putters is the same steel that is used in Rolex watches. My wrist has more of a Seiko budget.

I’ll admit that the phrase “forced me to learn” is a bit dramatic but, so far, each of the Toulon Small Batch releases has taught me something about the history of golf. This time around, I learned about the relationship between the Old Course at St Andrews and dogs.

A walk in the Old Course dog park

Did you know the Old Course at St Andrews is closed on Sundays? I did not. It seems impossible in these days of golf exuberance that the Home of Golf would only be open on one weekend day. Hopefully those of you who know about this didn’t find out when you rolled up to the course with your sticks on the Sabbath.

Here is another news-to-me fun fact. Did you know people walk their dogs on the Old Course on Sundays when it’s closed? I can’t imagine that happening at a prestigious course in the United States. Can you envision a world where Pebble Beach or Pinehurst No. 2 is closed on Sundays so folks can walk their dogs there?

The dog days of Toulon

I’ve got another knowledge nugget for you. Did you know the phrase “dog days of summer” references the time in July when Sirius, also known as the Dog Star, is closest to the sun and visible during the day?

This happens from about the middle of July to the middle of August. For most folks, the dog days are the best golf weather of the year.

The Toulon Small Batch Scotland putter has one more K-9 tie-in. The Toulon shop dog, Jack, passed away recently. The silhouette of the dog on the sole is for Jack and the other dogs that have taken a Sunday stroll on the Old Course 

Specifications: Toulon and Sons Small Batch Scotland putter

• Material: 904L stainless steel
  • Construction: CNC-milled
  • Finish: Liquid Charcoal PVD
  • Face: Double Fly Cut with Big Tuna Milling
  • Neck: H1
  • Toe Hang: 41°
  • Offset: One Shaft
  • Loft: 3°
  • Lie: 70°
  • Weight: 353 grams
  • Shaft: Black stepless steel
  • Grip: Custom Toulon Collection Tiffany Blue Pistol
  • Production run: 75 
  • MSRP: $1,800

Exploring the Toulon Scotland shape

The Toulon Scotland is one of those “other” blade shapes. It’s a heel/toe-weighted blade like the Anser but not quite like the Anser. To make the Scotland, you would start with a blade with three steps on the back side and then carve out a cavity in the center.

The design is similar to Bettinardi’s Studio Stock 8 or Scotty Cameron’s Circa 62 #3

If you are an Anser-style putter player, you should find the play of the Toulon Scotland familiar. Visually, this head style always looks narrower to me at address than a typical Anser, with the cavity edges being sharper than the Anser’s edges as well.

Old-world aesthetics

The aesthetics of the Toulon Small Batch Scotland putter are old school. The goal was to create a look that could have come from one of the small shops near the Old Course.

With that in mind, Toulon Golf became Toulon and Sons.

I love the Toulon and Sons name. First of all, it is accurate, since their putters come from Sean Toulon and his sons Tony and Preston. They just need Joe Toulon to leave Odyssey to complete the Toulon clan.

Though meant to be a “What If?” name, I think the Toulon and Sons name stands out more in the golf marketplace than Toulon Golf. Most golf company names are geared more toward grabbing customer attention, some of them obnoxiously so.

Toulon and Sons reminds me more of a bespoke tailor who will take their time to make a high-quality suit.   

Final thoughts on the Toulon Small Batch Scotland

The Toulon Small Batch Scotland putter will resonate with putter collectors on multiple levels. Fans of the Home of Golf will appreciate how the putter pays homage to the Old Course.

Dog lovers could jump on this one just because there is a dog on it. Disagree with me if you must but folks are out there that will buy this putter just because the engraving looks like their dog.

For me, the putter has another nostalgic connection. When I look at the Toulon and Sons Scotland, I think of the putters designed by the late Byron Morgan. Byron’s putters frequently featured similar “Byron and Co.” stamping on the face. The tuna milling on the Scotland’s face reminds me of Byron’s tuna milling as well. The Dude is missed in the putterverse.

Finally, I would be remiss if I didn’t mention that the release of the Toulon and Sons Small Batch Scotland coincides with the Women’s Open Championship being played at the Old Course this week. 

Find out more about the Toulon Golf Small Batch Scotland putter at ToulonGolf.com

FAQ: Toulon and Sons Small Batch Scotland Putter

How many Small Batch Scotland putters are being produced?

Seventy-five Small Batch Scotland putters will be available worldwide from the Toulon website.

What is the story behind the plaid headcover?

To make the headcover, Toulon and Sons partnered with one of my favorite companies, Seamus Golf. Seamus Golf makes amazing tartan-patterned golf accessories. I’ve had a set of Black Watch tartan headcovers for over a decade and they still look nearly new. My typical Bandon Dunes souvenir is a Seamus Golf metal ball marker with hand-hammered initials. Love the Seamus Golf stuff.

Seriously, they let dogs on The Old Course?

Seems like madness, but the course can handle it. Most of The Old Course is firm and can stand up to Fido’s feet. They do ask that you keep the dogs off of the greens and pick up any doggie droppings.

Are Toulon putters any good?

Let me answer that from two directions. First, they have 65 PGA Tour wins. That seems pretty good. Second, I’ve had a whole bunch of putters run through my hands during the past 20 years and the current batch of Toulon putters are equal in quality to any other manufacturer’s milled putter. I currently have the Toulon Alcatraz in my bag. That fact alone should tell you what I think of Toulon putters.

The post Toulon and Sons Small Batch Scotland Putter appeared first on MyGolfSpy.

Article Link: https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/toulon-and-sons-small-batch-scotland-putter/