We Tried It: Cobalt Q-6 Slope Laser Rangefinder

There is a lot of cool gear in the golf world that doesn’t always fit into Most Wanted Tests or Buyer’s Guides. You still want to know how it performs. In our We Tried It series, we put gear to the test and let you know if it works as advertised.

What We Tried

Cobalt Q-6 Slope Laser Rangefinder

Your Laser Blazer

Dave Wolfe– The OG MyGolfSpy Laser Rangefinder Tester

We Tried It: Cobalt Q-6 Slope Laser Rangefinder

Some of you may be wondering why the MyGolfSpy putter guy is reviewing a laser rangefinder. As history will attest, this proud purveyor of putters was actually the first to run our head-to-head test with lasers.

While our testing protocols have matured since then, my love of golf gadgets has not wavered. When given an opportunity to target laser beams at pins (and perhaps my fellow golfers), I had to shoot my shot.

I was intrigued by the Cobalt brand. Outside of seeing them as a participant in the Laser Rangefinder Buyer’s Guide, I really didn’t know much about the brand.

With the Cobalt Q-6 Slope Rangefinder clipped to my bag, I set out to see if the name Cobalt Golf should be one that you should remember when laser shopping.

Cobalt Q-6 Slope Rangefinder Specifications and Stats

• Distance to Flag: 600+ yds
  • Distance to Trees: 2,000 yds
  • Minimum Range: 5 yds
  • Accuracy (Up to 300 yds): 0.5 yds
  • Acquisition Time: 0.25-3 Seconds
  • Digital Accelerometer Accuracy: +/- 0.5°
  • Digital Accelerometer Range: +30° to -30°
  • Magnification: 7X
  • Objective Lens: 25mm
  • Eye Relief: 16-19mm
  • Diopter: +-2
  • Light Transmission: 80%
  • Waterproof (IPX7): Yes
  • Frame Material: Magnesium
  • Body Material: Aluminum and Rubber
  • Battery Type: CR2
  • Battery Life: 2,000 Range Cycles
  • Operating Temperature: 23°-140°F
  • Storage Temperature: -13°-140°F
  • Weight (including battery): 10.6 oz
  • Dimensions WxHxD: 4.6875″x3.0625″x1.875″
  • Brightness Settings: 9
  • Units of Measure: Yards/Meters
  • Country of Origin: Philippines

Overall, the specifications for the Cobalt Golf Q-6 Slope Rangefinder are solid. When you compare the specs to other lasers at the same price point, Cobalt is competitive.

For example, let’s compare some of the reported features and performance of the Cobalt Q-6 Slope to the MyGolfSpy Best of 2024 Bushnell Pro X3+.

Both are IPX7 waterproof, have a 600-plus-yard range and magnify with 7x lenses. The Bushnell has enhanced slope features that come through pairing with their app but also costs about $150 more than the Cobalt Q-6 Slope.

For a small company, having product specs that are similar to non-small-company Bushnell is a solid achievement.

Is it fast?

Speed is everything, in my opinion, when it comes to laser rangefinder usage. I say that because the term “speed” encompasses a whole bunch of other characteristics.

Fast laser rangefinders are comfortable to use, easy to target, stable during use and, most importantly, quick to provide accurate distances.

A laser that is lacking any one of these qualities will be a slow rangefinder.

The Cobalt Q-6 Slope rangefinder is fast. It powers up instantly with a press of the top button and spits out a distance just as fast, once you aim at your target and press the button again.

It does a great job of picking up the flag, even when trees and other objects are behind the flag. Most times, it will lock on and provide the user with a bit of vibrational feedback, letting you know the number is good.

There are two areas of potential “slowness” I observed. First, the unit is not small. It’s not huge like the old-school horizontal Bushnell Pro lasers but it is not compact. It was comfortable in my average-sized hand but those with small hands could have issues. 

There were times when I needed to adjust the blue focus ring around the eyepiece to achieve a clear image. Once adjusted, the view was sharp. However, adjusting the focus will lower your speed of usage by a number of seconds.

Is it accurate? 

Arguably, accuracy is important than speed. You want a fast number but you need that fast number to be accurate as well.

To test for accuracy, I compared the Cobalt Q-6 Slope numbers to those provided by my Leupold GX-4i2 laser and Bushnell Neo Ghost GPS rangefinders. These are my go-to rangefinders and I know the numbers they provide are good.

After shooting both flags and non-flags for a few rounds, I would say the Cobalt Q-6 is very accurate. The numbers reported by the Cobalt were right there with the other two.

Bottom line: The Cobalt Q-6 Slope provides accurate distances.

How’s the build quality?

I was impressed with the quality of the Cobalt Q-6 Slope rangefinder. I mentioned that the size could be an issue for smaller hands but the shape is very comfortable otherwise.

At $400, this laser rangefinder is at the upper end of the marketplace. It feels like an expensive item. Construction tolerances are tight, the rubber pleasantly tactile and the optics clear and bright.

The only nitpick I have is the shiny blue ring around the eyepiece. It seems cheap. I don’t think it will break or anything like that but the material doesn’t feel high quality.

The ability to focus the lens is a plus and the blue makes it pop visually but a rubberized focus wheel would feel more like something that would last for a long time. YMMV on this but the ring was a bit of a could be improved item for me.

Regardless, Cobalt believes their lasers are of the highest quality and backs them with lifetime warranties. Should it get damaged or stop working, it will be repaired or replaced at no charge.

I read that as buy it once, and use it forever.

Could it replace your current laser?

I mentioned that my current laser rangefinder is the Leupold GX-4i2. I’ve been using that since it was the Most Wanted winner for me back in 2015. I don’t think I own another piece of technology that has held up as well as the Leupold laser.

(I think it is only on its second battery.)

If I did not own the Leupold, I would have no complaints about using the Cobalt Q-6 Slope. It does a great job. However, for me, the Leupold’s more compact profile and optics are keeping it as my go-to.

Buy the bundle!

If you are interested in buying the Cobalt Q-6 Slope or any of the other Cobalt laser rangefinders, you need to spend the extra $30 for the bundle upgrade. The bundle includes a box of Vice Pro golf balls, a Cobalt-branded Yeti insulated water bottle and a Cobalt Microfiber Golf Scrub Towel.

The laser may be on the expensive side but that bundle is a huge bargain.

Final thoughts on the Cobalt Q-6 Slope Rangefinder

Over the course of a few rounds, I went from knowing nothing about the Cobalt brand to feeling very comfortable with their laser. The Cobalt Q-6 Slope is accurate and fast. It’s not going to replace my gamer but it is still something I would classify as excellent.

If you are curious about Cobalt but cautious, I recommend you check out their demo program. You can use a demo laser for two weeks and then keep the demo model at a five percent discount, send it back and get a brand-new one or have your credit card refunded (minus shipping).

Worst-case scenario: You are out the cost of the shipping. Overall, that is way less risky than some other online golf purchases I have made.

Cobalt may not be a big name in the golf rangefinder business but it is one that you should know.

Learn more about the Cobalt Q-6 Slope Rangefinder at Cobalt-Golf.com

H2: FAQ: Cobalt Q-6 Slope Rangefinder

What’s the advantage of using a laser versus a GPS rangefinder?

Lasers give you direct measurements. GPS rangefinders and phone apps use satellites and other technologies to approximate your position to target. I view GPS units as typically being faster at providing yardages but laser yardages are more accurate.

What is the life expectancy of a laser rangefinder?

The CR2 battery should last for 2,000 shots but the laser should last forever. If it doesn’t, Cobalt will warranty it. The laser will still probably be able to head to the course when our bodies are no longer able to.

Is it tournament legal?

As long as the slope is turned off, you should be able to use the Cobalt Q-6 Slope in tournaments. Obviously, the best play is to check with the officials before doing so. You turn off the slope function with the switch on the side. Cheaters beware! When the slope function is active, a red light will be lit on the side of the unit.

Is the Cobalt Q-6 that much better than the $150 cheaper Cobalt Q-4?

While I have not tested them head to head, it does look like the extra expense is worth it. Magnification improves with the Q-6 as does the targeting range by 100 yards. The 450-yard range of the Q-4 may be plenty. The 600-yard-plus range of the Q-6 likely means that it is more effective targeting the shorter ranges as well. Knowing that this is a product that I may be using for a decade, I’d spend the extra to get the better one. You could also just demo both and keep the one you like. Just be sure to eventually order the bundle!

The post We Tried It: Cobalt Q-6 Slope Laser Rangefinder appeared first on MyGolfSpy.

Article Link: https://mygolfspy.com/we-tried-it/we-tried-it-cobalt-q-6-slope-laser-rangefinder/