We Tried It: Sun Mountain Ridgerider 3

Theres a lot of cool gear in the golf world that doesn’t always fit into Most Wanted Tests or Buyer’s Guides. You still want to know how it performs. In our We Tried It series, we put gear to the test and let you know if it works as advertised.

What we tried: 

The new Sun Mountain Ridgeline 3, a fully adjustable push cart, labeled as lightweight and functional for all golfers who prefer walking to riding.

Who tried it: 

Jamie Danbrook, Forum Manager and avid walker of golf courses. We don’t ride carts here in Switzerland, we walk. While many of my playing partners have migrated to electric-powered options, I still enjoy my standard push cart. The new Ridgeline 3 from Sun Mountain looks great and will hopefully make walking my rounds a little easier and less taxing.

Key highlights:

• Adjustability: Fits various golf bags; adjustable handle height
  • Ease of Use: Folds/unfolds easily; compact for small car trunks
  • Performance: Smooth-rolling EZ Glyde Wheels; lightweight at 18 pounds
  • Build Quality: Sturdy construction; high-impact wheels
  • Accessories: Functional tray with phone holder, standard water-bottle holder, adjustable but slightly unstable umbrella holder
  • Brake System: Secure disc brake; lacks downhill speed control
  • Price: $349, good value for features and quality

About the Sun Mountain Ridgeline 3: 

For the most part, push carts are pretty straightforward. They may have three or four wheels, hopefully are easy to pack in the car and set up, and are functional for any and all golf bags. 

The Ridgeline 3 aims to hit all of these key points and has a few additional features to elevate its performance. With a price of $349, it is on the higher end but not outrageous by any means. 

Let’s run down some of the specs before diving into my experience. 

The Ridgeline 3 weighs 18 pounds and has three locked-in wheels (no front swivel wheel). 

The cart unfolds and folds with two easy steps, hopefully making packing and unpacking a breeze. It features a patent-pending adjustable upper bag bracket to fit any bag. Golf bags are strapped in by thicker adjustable elastic straps with locking clips to avoid slipping or twisting. 

There is also an anti-tip system, meaning your clubs and cart will stay upright without tipping backward. 

The cart also features EZ Glyde Wheels that are classified as being constructed for high-impact. Basically they feature a softer rubber that makes for a smooth on-course experience regardless of the conditions. 

Finally, the Ridgeline 3 includes an adjustable handle with an accessory tray along with an umbrella and cup holder. At a glance, it has everything you could possibly want or need out of the box so how does it work?

Functionality and performance: 

For the last eight years, I have used Clicgear carts with no issues, other than when I first got it and it took me more than a few practice setups to get the hang of how it opened and closed properly. My experience with the Ridgeline 3 was similar but with a shorter learning curve. With a quick glance at the instructions and a few trial setups, we were good to go. You will know it is locked into place with the click of the little metal pedal locking into the frame. As for functionality, I have two kids in car seats and a typical European vehicle. Space is not abundant, yet I have no issues placing my bag and cart into the back of my car, leaving space for a few other things if needed.

Where it shines: 

The adjustability of the Ridgeline 3 offers is a clear standout for me. I have three different golf bags that I use on a regular basis and all fit snugly without shifting or twisting. Combine this with the adjustability of the handle to an appropriate height and there are few golfers who won’t find the proper placement for their pushing position. 

The Ridgeline 3 outshone my Clicgear in a few other areas. The first is the size and weight. Three pounds may not seem like a lot but it is enough to be noticeable, especially on hilly courses. Another area is the width—the Clicgear is wide! Of course, this can add to stability but the narrower Ridgeline 3 is more maneuverable and can fit into tighter spaces. 

The glide and ease at which the Ridgeline 3 rolls around the course is really nice as well. I have thoroughly enjoyed using it as it feels smooth and nearly effortless to push around. The high-impact wheels have also become a useful feature when pushing on gravel paths between holes or in the rough. The clubs don’t seem to bounce around nearly as much as they do with my Clicgear and there is a quieter ride because of that.

Hold the brakes! 

The Ridgeline 3 features what looks like a disc brake. It has a stainless-steel wheel with small holes where, when the brake is activated, a pin comes out and locks in, creating a very stable and secure brake. The activation is smooth with a small lever on the right side of the accessory tray. At a glance, this was perfect but, in practice, I do miss one advantage the Clicgear brake offered—the ability to slow the cart while going down hills by slightly activating the brake. Is this a deal-breaker? No, but I do miss it on some of the steeper slopes where I play.

Build quality: 

It looks as though a good amount of time and effort was put into making this cart suit its name. It looks rugged and has a sturdy build quality. That said, it does mean there are some comfort functions that get lost along the way. The handle is all hard plastic and, while shaped nicely, isn’t the most comfortable to hold. Nitpicking? Maybe but I have used others that have a nicer feel.

Accessories and miscellaneous 

The accessory tray is pretty functional and offers ample space. The nicest part may be the cellphone holder you can use for your GPS or whatever other phone uses you may have on the course. I did note that with my phone, the tray was not able to open and close without obstruction. This could be just my case or phone but I have to shift the phone forward to close the tray cover. 

The water-bottle holder is standard and equally excellent. I have used various water bottles or insulated coffee mugs in it with no issues. 

As for the umbrella holder, I am a bit more on the fence. The stability with which it holds an umbrella is just OK. I tried a few different umbrellas with various handle sizes only to find the hole where the handle goes is just a bit on the big side. This means the unbrella will bounce around a bit even with the elastic loop intended to secure it properly.

Final verdict: 

I am making the Sun Mountain Ridgeline 3 my go-to push cart and retiring the Clicgear. 

While there will be some things I miss, the overall functionality, weight and performance mean it is an excellent all-around push cart for what I want and need. 

The ease with which it glides and sets up/packs away are advantages that make using this cart that much more enjoyable. 

At $350, it isn’t the cheapest but the value in build quality is there to back it up. For anyone walking and looking for a highly adjustable push cart, do yourself a favor and give the Sun Mountain Ridgeline 3 a look.

Check Price

The post We Tried It: Sun Mountain Ridgerider 3 appeared first on MyGolfSpy.

Article Link: https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/we-tried-it-sun-mountain-ridgerider3/