Why Tyrrell Hatton plays a Titleist Pro Vx ball

What do Ludvig Aberg, Patrick Cantlay, Justin Thomas, Matt Fitzpatrick, Jordan Spieth and last weekend’s Alfred Dunhill Links Championshiop winner, Tyrrell Hatton, all have in common?

They all play the Titleist Pro V1x golf ball.

A very quick summary of the Pro V1x ball is that it is aimed at those in search of a higher ball flight and lower long-game spin compared to the Pro V1 which leads to increased distance, especially on drives and long iron/fairway wood shots.

The construction of the ball also helps generate more speed off the clubface, contributing to longer carries while, around the green, one of the most important features is its exceptional short-game spin.

And in the wind, helped by its dimple design, it offers a consistent and stable ball flight which makes it a great option in challenging conditions.

One of the more obvious comparisons with the Pro V1 is that it has a slightly firmer feel which is the main part of the appeal to Hatton who has played a Titleist ball ever since he turned pro.

“It’s more of a feel thing for me. I like the fact that it feels a little harder. It’s got a bit more of a click off the face. And for me, especially around the greens, that’s a big plus.

More control

“I just feel like I have a bit more control, and I feel like it spins a little bit more as well,” explains the now three-time winner of the Dunhill Links Championship.

“I’m very comfortable using the ball. It does what I need it to. That’s such a big part of what we do.

“Titleist has been the number one ball in golf for so long, I grew up wanting to play that ball. It just seems very natural for me that that should be the ball that I use.”

Last week in Scotland Hatton led the field in Strokes Gained: Approach (+1.85 per round), hitting 85% of greens in regulation (8th) and 67% of fairways (16th).

At this year’s Open, 104 players in the field used a Titleist ball – 60 going with the Pro V1 and 44 the Pro V1x.

WATCH: Amateurs – improve your ball striking with this amazing drill

The post Why Tyrrell Hatton plays a Titleist Pro Vx ball appeared first on Golf365.

Article Link: Why Tyrrell Hatton plays a Titleist Pro Vx ball - Golf365